• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding temporary plants

Bolota

Hello,

In my new setup (a nano) I'll have a reduced biomass in the beginning. I wonder if it makes sense to move a few plants (or some trimmings) from my other tank to increase the biomass during the first weeks?
However, I am also afraid of cross-contamination (I had some algea and diatom events already).

Thanks!!!

Not so sure about the biomass, but with regard to the cross contamination - if everything is on point in the tank, the algae won't get a foot hold.

I've moved infested plants to an immaculate tank (in the name of insanity... I mean science) and within days the algae started to die because everything was on point and the plants were out competing the algae.

The fact of the matter is, if you buy super clean plants from a known good source and chuck them in, it will still boil down to the tank balance whether algae develops or not. Spores come from everywhere - in the water, on plants, air born etc

I'd say go for it, it's a nano - if things go wrong, it's pretty easy to deal with.

Let's have a look at what you've got so far, post some pics! :thumbup:

Defenitely go for adding to plants bio-mass from the start.
A very low bio-mass makes all things so much more "insecure", comparrd to a high bio-mass. Do choose some fast-growers, though, since it is easier to take away too much grow, than it is to accelerate too less growth.
The high amount of plants will generally pull everything in the right direction - so the sooner the better.........

Back