• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

dry start method

Nick16

i am going to set up my new tank, and after reading some threads on other sections of the forum.
i have 2 sets of lights (T8's and T5'S).

my question is, i want to use toms method and put glosso in for abut 5 or 6 weeks to grow emersed. i will only use the T5's and have them on for about 9 hours a day. but i have a few questions.

1) can i grow any of these plants emersed, or do i have to wait...

E.tenullus.
P.helferi
(those are the only ones i think i can grow as the rest are stems or need to go on wood) but i need some clarification.

2) do i have to cover the top of the tank, with something like plastic or a bin liner to get the greenhouse effect, with it being nice and humid etc. (its 120x40cm (240L))

lastly, is it best for me to go with this method, or should i just go full on and put all the plants in and fill it right up? i think it would be nice t get the glosso to bulk out abit before i put the stems in.

Re: my tank

Personally I wouldn't go for this method, but each to their own.

What wattage is yout T5 lighting?

What do you mean do you have to wait?

Cover the tank with cling film and spray 2-3 times a day with a spray mister.

Thomas McMillan said:
Personally I wouldn't go for this method, but each to their own.

What wattage is yout T5 lighting?

What do you mean do you have to wait?

Cover the tank with cling film and spray 2-3 times a day with a spray mister.

well, my T5 lighting is 39w and i have 2 bulbs, so that is 78w in total of a 63 USG tank. my T8's are 39w and there is also 2 of them. thats why i suggest i should just use the t5's if i go for toms method.

what i mean by waiting, is that i didnt think i could put all my plants in and then grow emersed, i thought only low level plants will work, not large stems like rotala or alternanthera. but i may be missing something here! :lol:

i couldnt decide what method to use, i am impatient so id rather plant up all at once but i want to do this right, as this is my first real attempt at a planted tank (and probably will be my only for a fair few years)

If it's your first tank aswell, I would personally go for the 'use big plant load from the off' method. It's probably much less complicated.

looks like i will be doing that, i have cycled a fluval 4+ internal to go in there, (i have another spare) but i want to buy a TT ex1200, how long will this take to cycle (will be on my 120l) as i have never had an external before! in the future i will hopefully replace the 4+ and get another TT so that i have 10X turnover. also the inside of the tank will look much better.

Back