• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Complete novice saying Hi

lionberries

Seedling
A few weeks ago I unwillingly acquired 3 supposed goldfish.
They came in a small round fairground bowl. Having no idea about anything aquatic I reluctantly accepted that they could actually survive in something so small until half an our later when Google proved my fear to be true.
I then panicked that the poor fish were slowly and painfully suffocating to death as I watched. I have very little spare cash at the best of times at the moment and I don't drive, so I begged and pleaded with my neighbour to take me to local pet shop, my sister to take me to pick up a small second hand tank and the owner of the second, second hand tank (that I bid on in fear of the first one falling through ), to drop it off asap for an extra fiver.

Pet shop was first and this is where they told me that the reason I couldn't find any "goldfish" that looked like mine on google was because they weren't goldfish! They were mollies or swordtails! Apparently swordtails need a heater , mollies can give or take a heater.
Luckily the first second hand fish tank came with a heater and.... Two shrimp of unknown breed ......

So I left the pet shop with some plants and fish food and went to collect the first second hand tank with heater and as I now knew, two shrimp. The tank had a small amount of water in, so I figured I'd play safe and google the shrimp before filling up. With water and the water conditioner the previous owner had luckily told me I needed.
I then discovered you can't just throw a load of water, conditioned or otherwise, in a shrimp tank.
I spent the next few hours adding tiny bits of water to the tank, during which time 1 non goldfish died. I received the second secondhand tank but it didn't have a heater and the filter was new so didn't have the yucky stuff apparently necessary for something, so didn't want to risk it.

Finally I got the water, plants and fish in.
Fish and shrimp survived and I have spent far too much time discovering just how much I don't know.

ukapps seems to be one of the few uk places that has a lot of info I need especially regarding shrimp (which I now have more of), so I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of other people's knowledge and maybe one day be of use in sharing some knowledge I have gained...just got to gain some first

Welcome; that's a baptism of fire...
I've found mollys do better in hard or brackish water, and at a higher temp than is often recommended. Swordtails and platys do better in hard water too.
If you haven't already check this site out http://www.seriouslyfish.com/

Well done for your considerations for the fish and shrimp,eventually with your enthusiasm it will all come together .From the start I would read up as much as possible about water change and the principles of biological filtration to move forward. Welcome to Ukaps

Thanks u everyone. I looked up the site Tim recommended and I now think I may have platys?
I think my water quality has gone down after adding Java moss? I don't know if that's the cause. Could anyone tell me what the cheapest reliable options are for water testing? And if there's anything else that will help (I'm doing regular water changes)?
Manisha you are so right. all is riding on keeping these alive. If I can get to the point I'm confident in my care of these shrimp/fish, then as a reward I'm getting a bigger one and choosing the inhabitants . If they die I'll feel too guilty, so they better be tough!
Will have a look through later and see if there's a better place to post my questions but lastly can anyone tell me how to put up photos from a phone?
Thanks again x

can anyone tell me how to put up photos from a phone?
This thread in Technical should help

How to! Upload Images

a better place to post my questions
I think that beginning a topic in one of the more general forums such as
General Planted Tank Discussions
may get more response/views

It's good to include as much technical detail regarding equipment etc as possible to present a clear picture (you're right photos help:) )
- of course now I'm trying to find a great example & keep clicking on threads with only partial information ;)

You can provide a link back to this thread as well

I think my water quality has gone down after adding Java moss? I don't know if that's the cause. Could anyone tell me what the cheapest reliable options are for water testing? And if there's anything else that will help (I'm doing regular water changes)?
try to clarify - I suppose the photos will do that ;)

Anyway I'll give you a chance to start your new topic etc rather than continuing here

Back