• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydrocotyle tripartite being eaten

Same here.
Of all those fish the only one I don't have is the SAE and my "hydro" is doing great.

Last night I was just thinking the same thing was happening to me, I've been getting really long stalks with no or little leaves. I've got otos, Green Neons, Rosy Tetras and Amanos. :confused:

I use Amano's and Otto's ( in abundance !!) in all exibition-tanks, I do.
Hyd. trip. is commonly used in those tanks, but I've never seen damages.
If plants for some reason are not thriving optimal ( = degrading )...........ramshorn, Amano's and Otto's race in to feast immidiately.
I've had those guys tell me plants vere degrading, before I could tell by my own eyes.......they're scaringly sensitive.:nailbiting:
- the SAE, on the other hand, I stopped using long ago. They occasionaly (but not allways) had a go on specific plants.....and mosses vere never safe. The bigger the fish, the wider the range of plants in danger.
Mick.

The reason of plants being eaten by fish, snails or shrimps is usually poor plant condition. Your main concern should be how to improve it.

The plants new which I grew emersed and they usually have even thicker/ tougher leaves. That's why, I guess, only the young leaves were eaten. But I do have to say that most of my plants are not (yet) in optimal condition.

I know this is an old thread, and sorry to resurrect it but if you have Amanos, don't disregard them as being the culprits. I regularly put cuttings of japan from my main tank in the one downstairs that has at least 100 amanos in it and it took me a few weeks of this to finally catch them in the dark one night devouring it completely.

They are the best fed shrimp I know, and they still do this to me. It's only the japan they like, everything else they leave alone.

I watched them do in the Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan' as well - though really this plant must be an irresistible temptation as the Otos are also often seen cleaning the leafs to translucent spectres

I agree Must be something irresistible about Nymphoides hydrophylla "Taiwan" i recently bought a large plant , it lasted two days , not sure who the culprits are as the tank houses various rainbow fish, otto's , and amano shrimp, i wouldn't mind so much but i specifically feed veg based foods as a matter of course:rolleyes:

Nymph. hyd. defenitely IS one of the plants, often attacked by "cleaning crew" in tanks.
- be aware, though, that this plant - like most other - will have an adaption periode when moved. This also counts., when moved submerse to other submerse set-up. New leaves will adapt to new environment, while "moved leaves" will be weakened.........and "cleaning crew" will usually take advantage of this.The adapted, new leaves are usually not attacked - so it is worth giving a moved plant a little time to recover.

I've had a similar problem that continued after removal of SAE and Amano (equivalent Australian version) shrimp. The culprits were rummy noses.

Back