• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The No-Fly Zone

TOO

Hi all,

After a tour in the world of dartfrogs - http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/dart-frog-vivarium.40566 - I am ready to do some scaping in the No-Fly Zone. It has been up for for two weeks now and is running quite smoothly. I am struggling to see any algae yet, which is something I have never tried before. I really hope I can maintain this momentum. Apparently the Black Earth soil leaches no ammonium, so perhaps this could be one of the reasons. But I am cautiously optimistic as I know things can quickly change and that the next update might be moaning over my old enemy, BBA.

Obviously all plants need to grow in. My only question at this point is whether I should add a Mic. "trident" or two in the manzanita forest (some green needed there). On the other hand, when the mosses on the manzi, the crypts, and the eleocharis montevidensis grow in, this might solve it. The original idea was too keep this area as "light" as possible.

All comments and suggestions for improvement are more than welcome.

Tank: ADA 60P
Light: ADA Solar II (2x36 w)
CO2: ADA System 74
Substrate: Cal Aqua Labs Black Earth + ADA Power Sand
Hardscape: Manzanita and ADA Manten stone
Flora: Rotala indica, Gratiola viscidula, Cryptocoryne beckettii “petchii” , Eleocharis sp. “mini”, Eleocharis sp. “montevidensis”, various mosses.
Fauna: Tanichtys micagemmae.

29723189635_3fff6e73ca_n.jpgDSC_0431[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Played around with backgrounds. This is a white acrylic sheet placed at an angle to create a fade-out effect. The nice thing in my view is that it makes the manzanita stand out much more clearly than the black background. The black, on the other hand, is better at bringing out the green. So I guess I will just change now and then: it is almost like getting a new scape every time.

And I have now added a group of Tanichtys micagemmae. Lovely fish.

29806319125_a8d22d72bf_z.jpgDSC_0435[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

Lovely setup! Great fish too, thinking about them for my 60f too, are they really small?

White background is looking better than black IMO

Hi all,

A small warning should anyone be considering these fish (see above). I have lost three on/to the floor in just a couple of days. I normally try to research on jumpiness and had not encountered anything. Will try to lower the water level some centimeters to see if that can halt the suicide epidemic. I always feel bad about this as it is ultimately the fish keeper's responsibility to avoid such unnecessary deaths.

T

Added some Mic. "trident" to the manzanita area.

url=https://flic.kr/p/LF18hd]
29321065624_43838c76c2.jpg
[/url]DSC_0474[1] by Thomas Olesen, on Flickr

Back