• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worms in bucket

Halley

Hi - I left a bucket out the back garden during the summer with some sponges in it - I was meant to clean them but never got round to it. Now the bucket is full of little worms about the size of bloodworms but slightly more brown in colour. Can I feed these to my fish? Does anyone know what they are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can. They are some sort of insect larvae I think....

Cool - I was afraid of the fish getting an infection or something

Probably mosquito larvae, they are safe to feed to your fish. If you have enough of them you could try freezing them for use later on .

Sent from my SM-G925F

Don't think they're mosquito - I live in Ireland - but I fed them to the fish

I stand corrected - I bought some mosquito larvae previously but they look nothing like these. The worms in the bucket looked like tiny tiny earthworms.

could you get a pic?

I have a walstad jar in the garden, had some white worms in it, but they disappeared after a few weeks. no idea what they where.

You might find this link helpful as you probably only want basic info? https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef017

Yeah I'll try get a pic (just don't want the wife to see me )

90774bab80f27534f3202ce46e647600.jpg

Anything like these? They can run really fast although you can't see any legs! They are some sort of fly larvae, the fly being black/brown with hairy antenna but not mosquito.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

90774bab80f27534f3202ce46e647600.jpg

Anything like these? They can run really fast although you can't see any legs! They are some sort of fly larvae, the fly being black/brown with hairy antenna but not mosquito.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Awesome! Your fish will enjoy a few of them! Let some escape though :)

Back