• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help me scape a challenge - long and low

IMO, we should arrange the filter outlet and inlet in the way that the flow circulation can reach all parts of the tank and avoid "dead points" where water current is not there. By arranging like that, fertilizer and CO2 will be distributed all over the tank, hence plants will grow better and also partially prevent algae to develop.

So, it is up to your hardscape arrangement to arrange inflow and outflow pipes accordingly, with the main purpose as said above. I think with the low-profile tank of yours, total filter rate about 600-700l/hr should be sufficient. Since the tank is long, you can have 2 smaller filters like Eheim classic 2213 or Eheim Ecco Pro 130 (save energy in longterm using and no need to buy additional double taps to adjust the flow).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good points!

Hope to have the tank this weekend guys, first starting point! :D

In the picture with James it tells the difference. I can see two outlets and one inlet. Not sure where is the other inlet. It might be behind the biggest rock

I saw this in the Green Machine when it was still running as a tank. it is one filter, the outlet is on the left and inlet on the right. there is a rock in the middle behind the big stone at the back of the tank that may look like another set of pipes, its not.

cheers
rob

I saw this in the Green Machine when it was still running as a tank. it is one filter, the outlet is on the left and inlet on the right. there is a rock in the middle behind the big stone at the back of the tank that may look like another set of pipes, its not.

cheers
rob

Any idea what filter? :D

All of their 'normal' sized tanks were on ada filters (so I would believe their email) they are an ADA shop now as well. The really big tanks were run on eheim xl1200. The filters had spirax biological media, low ppi sponges and floss.

All their tanks were well under the 10 x flow rate. Don't
get too fixated on brands,a filter is just a plastic box that holds sponge and biological media. Use a media that does not reduce the flow.

Rob

All of their 'normal' sized tanks were on ada filters (so I would believe their email) they are an ADA shop now as well. The really big tanks were run on eheim xl1200. The filters had spirax biological media, low ppi sponges and floss.

All their tanks were well under the 10 x flow rate. Don't
get too fixated on brands,a filter is just a plastic box that holds sponge and biological media. Use a media that does not reduce the flow.

Rob

haha, don't worry; i'm never ever buying ADA unless I win the lottery :lol::lol:

I reckon even one of the brands like aquael or eheim would be a good shout for an external; I just need to:

A) find out if the hoses are long enough to facilitate an inlet and outlet at opposite sides of the tank

B) get one that fits lily pipes

haha, don't worry; i'm never ever buying ADA unless I win the lottery :lol::lol:

I reckon even one of the brands like aquael or eheim would be a good shout for an external; I just need to:

A) find out if the hoses are long enough to facilitate an inlet and outlet at opposite sides of the tank

B) get one that fits lily pipes

A - It's long enough. Just need drill a hole in the back of stand or have open back. You'll be fine

B - Depend on canister you choose, you will know

Someone has offered me the Eheim 250 Classic. I like the design, but concerned about its effectiveness on a tank like this

Choose a filter recommended for a "standard" 120L tank rather than using your total volume to guide filter choice ... assuming you want flow the length of the tank with hardscape ;)

I'd not expect a Classic 250 to provide "good flow" on a 120cm tank, maybe the Classic 350 or Professioanl 4 350 (worth the extra $ if you can find one on good price)

Look at the specifications of the Classic 350 (15watt, 620l/h, 12/16 hose) vs Pro 4 350 (16watt, 1050l/hour, 16/22 hose) - same goes with other branded filter - then consider what you're going to put inline on the filter as anything added can significantly reduce flow rate (some pumps are "better" at pushing against pressure than others)

Update!

Received this tank today, and you get to see its scale in relation to my delightfully messy living room lol

long tank 2.png

long tank 1.png
long tank 3.png

I think the next question I'd like to ask is, how best to light this!? :lol:

I am still deciding whether to go high tech (co2, high light etc) or low tech (moss, trident java, lower light); but I'm very keen on some sort of suspension.

Two kesil I might add. Saw Ryan is using them for his 120 :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two kesil I might add. Saw Ryan is using them for his 120 :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

good suggestion, though maybe a little outside of my budget...Not trying to cheap out on this tank, but invest wisely lol

I might put the Kessil 80 (except only available as marine LED presently, though it they receive inquiring emails re the "sun" version, perhaps that will ensure it's speedy release ;) ) on this 30cm deep x 20cm high tank dimension, but not the Kessil 160/360 etc

I second the suggestion on Chihiros - look at the sponsor Hinterfield (they offer great UK address pricing)

Not sure that I prefer the metal "leg" kit over the acrylic BUT it does make the light very adaptable & is likely useful when working in the tank or adding emerse growth :)

Tank looks fantastic!

I was thinking about hanging a 120cm led bar over it, but would probably look daft not extending the full length. Have seen other led's for £200 circa, but I baulked a bit at that :lol:

Definitely don't need high output at least to start, the low height means even low energy lights tend to be more than enough.

Other option is to spotlight it with different lamps, but I think this could ruin the length attraction of the tank.

Another option, is to get a very slim wooden lid (help control condensation) and install a light in it (or two), with reflectors...

I'd go for a TMC 'T-bar'. A kessil's wide spread would be wasted over a narrow tank, so you may as well go for something with a relatively 'straight down' beam pattern. If the new ones are the same as the old design, you should be able to use the suspension brackets to stick a couple of shorter ones together, or use one long one, as you see fit.

Back