• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

strengthening IKEA furniture

Aqua360

Hi all,

I'm getting new IKEA furniture shortly, including a bedside table made mostly from chipboard or whichever the correct name for it is. I just wondered if there's a way of tank proofing this for say a 55l cube, since the danger is the stability and danger from water.

Structurally I'm semi-confident the unit would hold the weight, but has anyone strengthened units like that with wood at the back, or inside etc?

I may well just patch it and go for a unit designed for aquariums, only risk is ruining the matching furniture and infuriating she who must be obeyed :lol:

Aqua360: I feel your pain:lol:. I was also going to ask the same question last week.. I have a shoe rack from homebase thats chipboard and my Mrs isnt happy with another piece of furniture. I got MTS so I want to put a second tank on the shoerack:rolleyes:. I know there was a post on how someone did this on the forum but unable to find it.

I have had a 30l cube on my bedside table for years no problems.
I also kept an 84l/2ft on the same furniture chest of drawers but that was to much.
Same type of cheap chipboard homebase, hope this gives you a judge for size/weight.

Hi, if structurally your happy & its just water damage your concerned about, I'd probably try to seal any edges where the laminates meet so they don't lift & 'bubble' ... or don't spill any water :D

Hi all

My two tanks (25ish and 60 liters) sit on IKEA kitchen cabinets structurally improved... now for 1-2 years. I screwed several 90 degree steel brackets inside the cabinet, enough for stabilizing lateral movements. It's worth covering the panel joints with self-adhesive plastic to prevent water damaging the panels.

Jordi

A sheet of Perspex or glass cut to the size of the top (IKEA supply for some ranges) can offer a degree of protection but have to be careful of slippage

Back