• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dying plants

andi345

Seedling
hey after looking at this forum for a while i thought id get into aquascaping now i brought a fluval edge tank to get me going and thought i might add a couple of shrimp at a later date now the problem is my plants are dying and i have no clue why i got master water kits everything ok ph ammo they have feed light and a c02 hooked up and lighting unit 8-10 hours a day just dont get it i have the tetra complete sub as a base with a standard black gravel on top all im trying to grow is a carpet of Utricularia Graminifolia and a small anubias in the corner

I find UG is a hard plant to grow,a lot of people struggle with it.
Is the Anubias doing OK ?.

Utricularia Graminifolia is usually a plant for experienced hobbyists... I would advise you to start with easier plants. Check Tropica's website and a few of UKAPS sponsors for references.

A few questions:
How big is the gravel grain size?
How long have the plants been in the aquarium?
What kind of light are you using?
What kind of fertilizers are you using?
What are your water test results?
How are you measuring CO2 injection levels?

Check this thread: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/ug-utricularia-graminifolia.749/

No the anubais hasnt taken roots and seems to be getting darker by the day with tiny and i mean tiny brown spots on the edge of the leaves i will take pics and give out fresh readings tomorrow the co2 is with a drop checker and my co2 bubble count is at about 1 a secs to give a constant green , i like the anubais but with UG i just wanted a nice carpet over half the tank and the plants will have been in the tank 3 weeks now

No the anubais hasnt taken roots and seems to be getting darker by the day with tiny and i mean tiny brown spots on the edge of the leaves i will take pics and give out fresh readings tomorrow the co2 is with a drop checker and my co2 bubble count is at about 1 a secs to give a constant green , i like the anubais but with UG i just wanted a nice carpet over half the tank and the plants will have been in the tank 3 weeks now

Don't plant the anubias, it'll rot; well, the rhizome if planted will rot. I find it does better elevated above substrate.

You may want to lower your light period for the anubias, it's very slow growing

UG emersed does well in SA, really struggle growing in my tanks? Any tips for me and @andi335

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are definite formulas for UG. if you are a beginner growing UG well, I call that beginners luck.

Why don't you try MC? It's easier to carpet.

I mean to say NO definite formulas for growing UG.

Ok after looking at the ug and i made a choice i got rid of what was left and went for a rebuild i have now planted eleocharis acicularis and tied my anubias to some wood with a halfs the roots lightly covered the lights are standard ots the led lights not the halogen ones

Mate, I'm gonna say something, please don't take me wrong... I'm really trying to help... and it's also for your own good.

Try to make a bit more of an effort to make your posts a bit easier to read. It's really hard to read a post without punctuation to at least separate sentences. Also, it's very hard to get help on any kind of online forum if most people need to read your posts 2 or 3 times to figure out what you're actually writing.

As for the problems you are experiencing, if you don't give us some more details we won't be able to help you as well as we could if we had that info.
From my own experience, Eleocharis is not as easy as it may seem (sure is not half as hard as UG) if you don't have the right ligh, CO2 levels and fertilizers it won't grow or it will grow so slowly that you may not even notice it.

Back