• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Crypts

Hi, I still have C.Affinis from 40 years ago. Depends on conditions which form the leaves take, sometimes long and smooth others very bullate. Very hardy, my water is very soft and they grow with no fertiliser addition.

Pm me if you haven't been able to find any elsewhere.

Cheers
John

Crypt Costata comes very close to this description.. I have no idea if this is it's true name and there seem to be variations in color.. Mine has long slender hamered leaves, redish flamed leaf underside, dark red stems.. Growing it low tech, very low light, in pH 8.5, medium soft, on inert lave rock substrate with some laterite clay at it's roots. Takes some time to establish a proper rootsystem, but once it has that it grows happily and relatively fast for the condistions it is in, it reaches up to 30cm in height.

Very nice and very easy crypt..

Here you see front and back side leaf.. :) What is realy nice with this plant is the translucent green vains realy pop out in the red back side..
DSCF7799.jpg

I have no idea i choose it from the looks the picture showed. The LFS i bought it from isn't always correct when it comes to name giving sold me crypts before which weren't what they said. I always use The Crypt pages as reference and if a name doesn't come up there i always get suspicious, it might officialy be something else.. :)
https://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/Botanical/alphabet.html

Btw also have the Walkeri (hobbit) almost the same crypt only a bit smaller.. Also tends to get a redish hue while maturing.. :)

Last edited:
Did some diggin, seems costata is a synonym of C. Albida R. Parker.. :) Mainle the brown/red var. of the Albida is still named Costata in the trade.. :thumbup:

Which kinda confuses me with the C. Albida brown, which i also do have and looks quite different.
We might be taken for a ride here.. That they both are the same, but sell a very small young plant as Albida brown and the large mature plant as costata. o_O:crazy:

Last edited:
Back