• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can Bigger Wood Look Good?

Wilis

Hi, I'm beginning to set up my new 48x24x20" tank n I had an idea in mind for the scape-I tend to go for a kind of jungle feel but intended to mix it up a little with this one n have a carpet too. I use bogwood, slate n different rocks but nothing that big usually because i'm limited by the size of my tank. With this one though I've picked up a few pieces of petrified wood from TGM,nice cuppa thanks Jim :) , but taking a walk recently I remembered an old oak that had a few fallen branches,saw this & just had to take it home(it's seasoned as this branch had been off the tree for a couple of years & I've dried it out n cleaned it up a bit,just need to soak it now :lol: ). I know the 'trend' for wood tends to be skinnier stuff but seeing some of Tom Barr's work led me to believe maybe this could work?? Apologies for the terrible picture quality.
DSC00067.jpg

Regards
Will

Re: Big Wood Viable?

Did you just pick it up off the floor? It needs to be dry and you need to make sure that all of the bark/rotting stuff is off. Give it a good scrub and a soak.

Re: Big Wood Viable?

Hi Thomas,
Wilis said:
...saw this & just had to take it home(it's seasoned as this branch had been off the tree for a couple of years & I've dried it out n cleaned it up a bit,just need to soak it now :lol: ).

Yeah I made sure all the little critters could escape by taking all the bark & rotten bits off it outside & then I had it on a rail over a rad for a few days initially. It's been in a room with heating for over a month now, I've taken the bark off & taken off any rotten bits, seems pretty solid now & bone dry.
Oh yeah it's also longer than it shows in the picture - I haven't decided exactly what size I'm going to cut it or what shape I'm going to cut the other end to make it look as 'natural' as possible-maybe I'll just hide the other end under the substrate or behind some petrified wood-if I get that far with it?

Thanks
Will

Suppose if I soak it anyway n then when my tank's ready for the hardscape I'll post some pics then, it's probably a lot easier to offer up an opinion when it's seen in situ

Regards
Will

Back