• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New set up

The correct drop checker arrived and it's all been running fine. But the sodastream seems to have run out already! Only ten days after starting using it. This isn't usual is it? Was there a leak? I couldn't find one and when it was running it was fine. I bought the cylinder from Argos.

*It's just occurred to me that I changed the water in the bubble counter yesterday as it had evaporated. I can't remember if I turned it off or not during the change! Maybe that was it as it's run out the day after.

Last edited:
Sounds like a leak, i tend to use PTFE tape on all my connections for my regulator and extinguisher. If your water was able to evaporate from your bubble counter, then surely you have a seal issue?

I've also found that bubble counters seem to be the most likely bit of the system to spring a leak, i use the fluval one now, it doesn't look great but it's bulletproof.

Thanks. I've got a refill anyway. Will see how it goes. Got PTFE tape from b&q but realised on getting it home it's for water, not gas. Was only 50p anyway!

On another note. I have life (plants apart) in my tank. Small snails keep showing up. And I think their eggs are on leaves. Are they welcome guests? Also, I've just noticed very small transparent blue creatures nipping around the substrate. A not very good pic here:

IMG_3159.JPG

You can see one lower left in the u-shape made by the leaf. There's also an out-of-focus one to the right. They are so small and move quickly so hard to photograph.

I intentionally introduce ramshorn snails in my tanks as they are a great clean up crew. I've not kept this type of snail though so i don't know if they'll harm plants.

Hi all,
Small snails keep showing up. And I think their eggs are on leaves. Are they welcome guests? Also, I've just noticed very small transparent blue creatures nipping around the substrate.
The snails look like <"Physella acuta">, if they are "Tadpole Snails" they are a very speedy mover.

I think the small nippy animals are a Copepod Cyclops. If they have "saddle-bags" these are egg sacks.

cheers Darrel

I've introduced my first fish to the tank today. Four corydoras 'julii' (not really julii). I hope they like lots of plants! The planting has filed out nicely and I have some floating plants now too (temporary) to aid development.

I've ordered the fluval bubble counter. This canister is now 11 days old and sure enough the psi reading has dropped from around 700 to 100 the last two days. I expect it to run out tomorrow, 12 days after I bought it. Not sure I'd recommend co2art, with them sending me the wrong drop checker knowingly and this seemingly inferior product being part of their package.

Apart from the co2 leak my aquarium is going well. I started dosing ferts a couple of days ago and will add another couple of cories next week.

Hi and welcome to ukaps, looks like you've made a great start. Please address any questions you have to the relevant forums and you will be more likely to receive relevant answers. I suggest you start a journal as it looks a beautiful set up. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back