• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants won't stay down

dean

Hi all
my mates having a problem as he's bought a selection of loose plants from an online retailer most of which hardly have any roots so they won't anchor down
Substrate is eco complete

Yes I know the tight sob should of bought quality potted plants

Any suggestions to keep them anchored down ?

Would this be ok to use ?

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/das-terracotta-air-drying-modelling-clay-1-kg/563745-1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He he - this is usually (and commonly!!) connected to bunched plants - that are basically just cuttings.
To avoid "unnatural" substances (ex. glue) you can carefully tie the plants (single stems/plants or a few together) to a very small piece of inert rock, using sewing-thread (preferably non-dyed).
You then push each little rock as deep into substrate as needed, to bring base of plants in correct depth to produce the roots that will eventually hold them down.
It's a little time-consuming - but I've done it quite often, so I know it works for both stem- and rosette-plants. When plant is established, there's no need to do any removal of the small rocks.
- and by the way; there's nothing wrong in saving a penny.........sometimes you must add a litle extra work, though ;)

Thanks Mick.Dk
My thinking was just Mould a bit of clay around the bit or root or bottom of stem to add weight to it plus add iron etc

This clay is easy to get just wondered if it's safe to use

He bought eco complete but its about 40mm deep across the whole tank
Stems seem to be staying gown his cabomba C had gone from 150 to 300mm in a week

It's stuff like vallis & crypts that has hardly any roots on that are the problem

The air drying clay may or may not have resins or other chemicals added.

Straight clay needs firing if you don't want it to dissolve when it gets wet, or break if you look at it too hard - it's incredibly fragile in this state

So the question is, what has been added to the clay to air harden it, and will that substance harm the fish/inverts?

If he's prepared to wait, he could leave the vallis floating for a few days. It will grow a few roots and then will plant easier

Last edited:
Maybe all clays are not equal but i have used a natural clay in small flat pieces under my dirted substrate with no issues but capped with sand , just need to know if its natural clay.

I have used these before and they help, you can pull apart with finger in the top loop to remove once they have rooted https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=2507

Attachments

• SS100278 - Copy.JPG
    SS100278 - Copy.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 145
Back