• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60P Second attempt.. Update: on the road to recovery

I had BBA a few years ago... I used Seachem fluorite, but the generic name is glutarandehyde (I discovered this too late lol). Always at the recommended dose but turning off the filter 30 minutes before the water change and applying it directly over the algae with a syringe. Usually I applied it in small spots so it can work better. Then did the water changes, after that half a dose again in spot areas and finally turn on the filter. The algae turns red, sometimes after the spot treatment, other times the next day, but once it turns red it'll dye and go away in one day or two. You can do this everyday or as much as you can... Treating some spots each time.

In some forums I read that you can go really high in the Seachem dosage, even 5X. The only time I did that I killed a lot of my plants, specially ferns, mosses and anubias, so I'll not recommend to do that, but maybe I did it wrong and someone else can tell you how to do it properly.

Good luck!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I've done the first water change today and will do a trim tomorrow. I can't dim the light but I can reduce the hours it's on if that's as good?

I'll also dose with EasyCarbo whilst doing further water changes this week.

I'll update how I get on.

Trimmed all the plants yesterday, got a lot of shaping to do but not sure where to start...

Keeping up the water changes.

Should I avoid dosing EI until I've done a full week or changes?

Ok here's an updated pic... Light just coming up and taken from my phone so not the best ..

Rmkdv00.jpg

I'd recommend you to clean the external filter as well. Not sure how often do you clean it, but for me cleaning canister has helped every time new BBA starting to appear.

I'd recommend you to clean the external filter as well. Not sure how often do you clean it, but for me cleaning canister has helped every time new BBA starting to appear.
Did that this morning along with the lily pipes etc

Hopefully all this work together sorts it out :)

You probably need some work with water changes during 1-2 weeks. I've re-read your journal. And I hope you can return your tank to the right track.

So far, you can do 50% water changes 2-3 times per week, and remove as much as possible affected leaves covered by algae. Doing so you'll remove not only algae but their spores as well. Add more cheap fast growing plants.

Spot treatment of hardscaspe with liquid carbon if you can do it.

Try to feed your fish less.

I like the look of this. It really does not look like a failure to me. The right and left hand side feel a bit chaotic though, maybe atleast the right side needs some shapping. But the middle looks flawless to me, nice mix of colour between the red plants and the moss, the fossilized wood looks like real wood. All in all nice scape mate.

Hi there ! The plants on the right are stems so you should trim them harshly, cut as low as possible and replant, to create a bush ; on the left regarding the crypts remove the longest leaves, cutting at the base of the plant ; if I may, I would make another suggestion : if possible to switch places between the red plants and the mosses because there is more light in the center ; regarding the filter I don't think it's enough to cope with your tank; you should bear in mind that the flow value it's for the PUMP ONLY ! without the media and the hoses ! So it's safe to say that the real flow rate it's half of that value ; and with a bush of stems, the water flow inside your tank will take a plunge

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

Should I avoid dosing EI until I've done a full week or changes?
I am surprised no one told you that using ADA aquasoil you have plenty of nutrients for your plants, both in the soil and in the water column. EI works of course but you're living on the edge unless the tank is well established (sorry, this is just my opinion). Your filter, your light, your flow seem ok to me. I cannot tell about the CO2 because it is very difficult to judge but it looks you know what to do... so what about trying a low nutrient approach until you see stable and steady growth? That's what I do in my tanks. Once the biomass is high, push the accelerator however you want. I only use the EI approach when I want fast growth, the rest of the time (initial growth and busy times at work) I use the lean dosing approach (some squirts of EI once a week or every other week... of course with enriched soils). Personally I would try it.

Jordi

I've read once again your specs and I would personally reduce the light period to just 6 hours until everything is under control. Only my mature tanks have photoperiods of 8 hours or more. I actually run them during the 6 first months with just 6 hours.

Jordi

if possible to switch places between the red plants and the mosses because there is more light in the center
Thanks for the comments but this isn't possible as the moss is attached to a large piece of wood that's in the middle :p

so what about trying a low nutrient approach until you see stable and steady growth? That's what I do in my tanks. Once the biomass is high, push the accelerator however you want. I only use the EI approach when I want fast growth, the rest of the time (initial growth and busy times at work) I use the lean dosing approach (some squirts of EI once a week or every other week... of course with enriched soils). Personally I would try it.
I'm definitely going this route currently and just dosing now and then so will see how it goes

've read once again your specs and I would personally reduce the light period to just 6 hours until everything is under control. Only my mature tanks have photoperiods of 8 hours or more. I actually run them during the 6 first months with just 6 hours.
I forgot to mention that I have reduced my photoperiod to 6 hours and this is what has solved the algae issue.

Does anyone know what type of moss has appear at the top of the wood in the centre? It doesn't seem to be fissidens but it's something... I never added it and it just started to grow out of the wood a month or 2 ago... I'll take a pic soon as the above doesn't show it very well

Hi Jamie, Looking good:rolleyes: Lush healthy plants too congrats :thumbup:
Thanks buddy, plants are not as healthy as they appear methinks, I'll try to take a few closeups soon as I've always had issues with leafs getting holes in but no matter how much EI I give them it doesn't help!

To be honest, I am moving house in a week and I fear the hardscape may not survive the move :(

Back