• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm Shallow Wabi-Kusa

Hi all,Nice.

I don't think it is Pogostemon, they have a purple spike of flowers. The flower looks like Lythraceae, so Rotala would be most likely?

cheers Darrel
Completely agree, it is a Lythraceae and I would bet for Nesaea crassicaulis, at least these flowers and stems look very similar to the ones I have seen on emersed Nesaea in my LFS.

Jordi

Hi all,
There is a good flowering Nesaea photo in <"Flowers of Aquatic plants">.

cheers Darrel

Hi Jordi, Darrel, Thank you both for the feed back :thumbup: Ho no not another wrong name:eek: I ordered the plant from Aqua Essentials on 8/5/2015 it had a name tag of Pogostemon stellatus rubra in the pot. It was a special not often seen plant. I just looked they no longer stock it.

One old photo without the flower

122_zpsr2w5247w.jpg

Hi all,
Ho no not another wrong name....I ordered the plant from Aqua Essentials on 8/5/2015 it had a name tag of Pogostemon stellatus rubra in the pot. It was a special not often seen plant.
Unfortunate.
One old photo without the flower
It looks fantastic.

A lot of plants are vegetatively pretty similar, so it isn't as easy to differentiate between them.

It is much easier to ID plants when they are flowering, because you can exclude a lot of the options based on the flower architecture.

I didn't know what plant Roy's flowers came from, but because the flower had four petals, and because those petals emerge from the rim of the calyx, it was very likely to be from the family <"Lythraceae">.

The genus Pogostemon belongs to the family <"Lamiaceae">, which means that, even if it had single flowers in the leaf axils, they would be tubular and zygomorphic.

cheers Darrel

Back