• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fern, moss or in between?

Yes, I went up the mountain again and found some interesting fern... or is it a moss?
DSC03708.JPG

I mean the one on the bottom of the (not clear) picture.

Where I live there's a lake surrounded by rice paddies. We have a huge collection of invasive species but the last one is really scaring: google Callinectes sapidus, and you will know what I mean.

Jordi

Where I live there's a lake surrounded by rice paddies. We have a huge collection of invasive species but the last one is really scaring: google Callinectes sapidus, and you will know what I mean.

Jordi
That's not scary. That's delicious!

Sent from my P022 using Tapatalk

That's not scary. That's delicious!

Sent from my P022 using Tapatalk
Yup, fishermen are now selling them very well but I wonder what will be the effects of an invertebrate that is x10 larger than any native invertebrate and that lives in the same area than some native and endangered fish (Valencia hispanica and Aphanius iberus) and endangered/protected plants (Marsilea spp., Kosteletzkya pentacarpos, etc.). The ecology of invasive species is very complex, for example the American crayfish is very well established in the lake and rice paddies, and now most of the bird species depend on them... Good for local economy? maybe good for some species? who knows... The problem is that once we know the effects it will be probably too late for some species.

Jordi

Back