• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Interesting 'easy' easy plants...

Ryan Young

Hi all,
Finally re- scaping my aquarium after leaving it way too long without CO2 and hair algae taking over...

My fish and in temporary accommodation in a 60L tank instead of their 200L planted and want to get them back into that ASAP to minimise stress of a non planted aquarium.

My question is that what kinds of plants will do well in any light level, I have two 39w t5 6500 kelvin lights over my aquarium and this provides a lot of light hence why I need plants that will do well in any lighting. Therefore the plants I am leaning towards more are typical slow growers or those which require minimal CO2.
I have collected enough rocks to fill the aquarium twice over so can pick and chose also meaning the tank will be heavily anubias.
Are there any plants that are more interesting and unique than your average easy plant like java ferns etc.? The only catch being that I dont want something that requires heavy CO2 and can grow very well without CO2 and interrupted periods of it.

Many thanks Ryan

Crypts come in some "interesting" forms.
I have becketti (i think) that shines a waxy purple,with pink undersides.
Petchi (i think) has brown leaves...as does tropica brown (obviously)
Love balensae,with it's long,corrugated leaves.
Try echinodorus reni or ozlot red...both hard as nails...with a splash of colour.
Not much green at all...in my tank.

John dory- after a lot of web browsing last night and into the early morning ( I got carried away) I believe I have found a very nice mix of plants that will suit this aquascape well, the plants that I found yesterday actually incorporate a large number of the plants you have mentioned and also some similar ones with slight variations. I also agree that the colour aspects of the reni and ozelot red are very nice and am using both of these.

Tim- I am planning on using a soil substrate, I have been using them for a few years now and have always achieved good plant growth, I agree plants definitely do not like interrupted CO2 intakes which may push me towards setting up an automated CO2 system rather than manually turning it on every morning. Or I could not use CO2 although even with the plants in mention CO2 will always help.

Manisha- i will check out these links, I am not against java ferns as I have some growing in a test tank but feel I want to use new plants I have not used before.

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated :)

Sounds good ☺ I run a low tech tank too & the only other consideration for me was to use a fast growing stem plant too? Im sure you've already thought of this as a tank of slow growing species would be very challenging!

You will never kill Limnophila sessiliflora, a fast growing plant under any circumstance. Hygrophila difformis would be my preferred, a beautiful and classic one

Jordi

Back