• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking for new tank. Suggestions please.

Soilwork

Hi I'm looking for a new tank around the 60-90 litre mark. Preferably it will come with lighting unit and heater. I have a JBL 1501e filter hopefully this isn't too strong a flow.

Any suggestions? I like the aquaopti 85 but seems tough to get hold of and doesn't come with a light unit.

Thanks in advance.

Aquaone do a light for all of their aquaopti tanks, I ordered my aquaopti 55 tank from my LFS. I did not use an Aquaone light as I wanted to easily reduce my lighting power if needed.
Aquaone do cabinets too, the Inspire range fit the aquaopti tanks perfectly.

Aquaone do a light for all of their aquaopti tanks, I ordered my aquaopti 55 tank from my LFS. I did not use an Aquaone light as I wanted to easily reduce my lighting power if needed.
Aquaone do cabinets too, the Inspire range fit the aquaopti tanks perfectly.

Cheers yes they do the light unit at an extra cost. Was ok with the tank and cabinet but adding the light unit starts ramping the cost up. Don't want to go over £200 if possible.

Decided to buy the aquaopti 85 and plant glo 60.

Need to sell my juwel vision 180 now.

I think the 85 will be good. However there are many lights that will fit the 85 Aquaopti, unless you want relatively low light levels. If you want high power and good build quality then I would look elsewhere.
ref, above post,OP said he did not want to go over £200,

I think the 85 will be good. However there are many lights that will fit the 85 Aquaopti, unless you want relatively low light levels. If you want high power and good build quality then I would look elsewhere.
ref, above post,OP said he did not want to go over £200,

Regardless, thank you for your input worshipper.

Jester. Thanks for this. I'm dead set on the 85. Are you suggesting the LED that aquaone make for this aquarium is low light?

I don't want tons of light but I'm used to lower light and would like to up it a little and having a co2 system i should be able to afford to do so.

Do you have any suggestions?

I'll be trying to grow a carpet of some kind and some red stems like alternanthera reineckii and the mini var.

Sorry I did not mean to confuse, I do that to myself sometimes. I meant that the aquaone light is not the best build quality for a 25w light, and I would spend more if going with a higher output.
The Plantglo at 25w will be more than enough but I'd want to be able to reduce the power as it may be too much. I'd spend more on high power lighting and control unit to get this function if high power is what you are after. I don't think you need that much power but I no expert. There are many lighting options available.
I'm not trying to put you off the aquaone but I was informed that the build quality was not great for the price. I've bought cheaper LED lights and had half of them go in the first year. Just my useless opinion though.
You may wish to look on this forum under lighting, there is a list of good LED fixtures. I would put a link but I don't know how. Its half way down the lighting page.

Last edited:
Sorry I did not mean to confuse, I do that to myself sometimes. I meant that the aquaone light is not the best build quality for a 25w light, and I would spend more if going with a higher output.
The Plantglo at 25w will be more than enough but I'd want to be able to reduce the power as it may be too much. I'd spend more on high power lighting and control unit to get this function if high power is what you are after. I don't think you need that much power but I no expert. There are many lighting options available.
I'm not trying to put you off the aquaone but I was informed that the build quality was not great for the price. I've bought cheaper LED lights and had half of them go in the first year. Just my useless opinion though.
You may wish to look on this forum under lighting, there is a list of good LED fixtures. I would put a link but I don't know how. Its half way down the lighting page.

Cheers. I've never had LED before. Id be more inclined to look for a PAR rating before making a decision but I know a lot of manufacturers don't provide this information. I would expect a fairly decent quality of LED from aquaone although they are not the biggest player they are by no means a poor foreign import (from what I understand) that said Amazon UK are now doing finnex fixtures. The shop I am visiting at weekend didn't specify which LEDs they had in stock but said that had a few. I'll have a look anyway but it's times like this I wish I had access to a PAR meter.

just buy the aquasky from Hinterfeld as light. is cheap and strong light with dimmer

Thanks. I typed in aquasky and it came up with fluval and ADA, then I found the chihiros one from hinterfeld. I think this is going to be a long decision lol.

I can confirm the tanks (or at least my 55) are well built and have very clean and tidy silicone joints. Just to let you know mine came with a glass lid which is also opti glass 3mm I think. The cover is cut short so pipes etc. can be routed over the rear glass, I cut my glass cover so it was one piece at the front and one at the rear with a gap in the middle for the light. There was also a pad in the bottom of the box. This was white but some brown sharpies soon had it blending with the walnut cabinet.

I can confirm the tanks (or at least my 55) are well built and have very clean and tidy silicone joints. Just to let you know mine came with a glass lid which is also opti glass 3mm I think. The cover is cut short so pipes etc. can be routed over the rear glass, I cut my glass cover so it was one piece at the front and one at the rear with a gap in the middle for the light. There was also a pad in the bottom of the box. This was white but some brown sharpies soon had it blending with the walnut cabinet.

Excellent. I'm thinking of drilling the left hand side of the cabinet to route the pipes through from my external filter if possible. Do you think this would weaken the stand?

Or do you think a JBL e1501 would. Be too strong for this tank? It's 1400LPH

Do you mean the top of the cabinet or the back? as the rear is open with a few braces.

Back