• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jim's TMC Signature

Thanks for the video, love the scape :thumbup:

I think it's good to do a journal. I never did a proper one for my marine tank and I regret not having anything to look back on.

He certainly is :)

The video is not my tank, unless you were speaking to AquamaniacUK ;)

When it comes to plants I'm really out of my comfort zone. Have made a list of beginner plants using Aqua Essentials/Tropica, mostly stuff I like the look of, but any advice would be appreciated :thumbup:

Limnophila hippuridoides
Hygrophila siamensis
Ludwigia palustris red
Ludwigia repens
Limnophila sessiliflora
Hydrorotyle tripartita
Bacopa monnieri compact
Micranthemun

I'm a few weeks from planting so have plenty of time to read up :bookworm:

Wee cutie/rascal... :D Your video of your last scape loooked well planned plant wise ☺ have you plans for the new project?

Hi Jim Love the scape :thumbup: One thing I would attach the Co2 bottle to the cupboard with the plate with the hole in that comes with the bottle.And hook the bottle on as it becomes unstable when the pressure gauge's are fitted and could fall over and smash the gauges :eek:

Oops,my mistake Jim! If your are new to plants I agree beginner plants & ones you like is the best place to start ☺ nice list - I love the look of limnophilia hippuridoides when it shows its colour!

Hi Greenfinger

Thanks for the heads up :thumbup: Unfortunately no bracket was supplied but the plan was to use some cable tie cradles and ties to hold it in place.
Hi Jim Love the scape :thumbup: One thing I would attach the Co2 bottle to the cupboard with the plate with the hole in that comes with the bottle.And hook the bottle on as it becomes unstable when the pressure gauge's are fitted and could fall over and smash the gauges :eek:

Agreed, limnophilia hippuridoides is certainly one of my favorites :)
Oops,my mistake Jim! If your are new to plants I agree beginner plants & ones you like is the best place to start ☺ nice list - I love the look of limnophilia hippuridoides when it shows its colour!

Hey Jim, nice setup!

I'd like to see how your frosted window film holds out. I recently setup a tank and used a frosted film too. When I applied it, it looked perfect like this:
cfc000f17a999dfc1ea59c7941397918.jpg

However since filling up the tank it has developed some weird bubbles out of nowhere which don't come out when scraped. Maybe I'm just unlucky :/ You can see the bubbles in the back.

4cac9891d28603a1b100e42b914a1f72.jpg

It's either that or have no background and all the wires showing.

How did You apply it. If using soapy water and a hairdryer it should never happen. This happens only when trying to apply it dry....
I have applied my black background (cheapest car window tint film) on my 200L tank with water already in it without any problems.

Hi Courtney

Mine does show some shadowing but it's barely noticeable. I will probably reapply it using the method suggested by timofeje.

Hey Jim, nice setup!
I'd like to see how your frosted window film holds out. I recently setup a tank and used a frosted film too. When I applied it, it looked perfect like this:
However since filling up the tank it has developed some weird bubbles out of nowhere which don't come out when scraped. Maybe I'm just unlucky :/ You can see the bubbles in the back.
It's either that or have no background and all the wires showing.

How did You apply it. If using soapy water and a hairdryer it should never happen. This happens only when trying to apply it dry....
I have applied my black background (cheapest car window tint film) on my 200L tank with water already in it without any problems.

I'm intrigued. The instructions just told me to use plain water. Also the hair dryer thing...how does this work?

I doubt I'll be about to do it again, the tank weighs nearly 90kg empty I'll remember for next time.

I take it you can no longer access the back of your tank? Perhaps you could try a piece of acrylic cut to size, glue some retainers to the pelmet / base and slide it in.

I have re-fixed mine looks ok, only time will tell..

I'm intrigued. The instructions just told me to use plain water. Also the hair dryer thing...how does this work?

I doubt I'll be about to do it again, the tank weighs nearly 90kg empty I'll remember for next time.

Evening All

Ok, I have decided on some plants. Will try these 5 to start with, adding more as needed. As always, any advice on the plants would be appreciated.

-
Eleocharis Acicularis. Foreground.
- Pogostemon Helferi. Mid left, amongst rockwork.
- Alternathera Reineckii Mini. Mid right, amongst rockwork.
- Limnophila Hippuridordes. Background, left.
- Hygrophila Siamenssis 53B, found on AquaEssentails. Background, right.

Installed my regulator, bubble counter, etc..

IMG_4468.JPG

Final position, cable tied for safety.

IMG_4460.JPG

Heater, barely noticeable :rolleyes:

IMG_4466.JPG

Hi tim

Glad you like it :) Thank you for the plant info, I'll swap for the E.Parvula :thumbup:
Great start Jim, love the detail of your journal so far, as far as your plant list goes nice selection though you may find the E. Acicularis grows a little tall, E. Parvula may be a better option.

Good morning everybody

Can't believe it's only been a week since my last update, seems longer..

So, last weekend I decided to fill the tank. More to keep my son entertained than my own impatience :rolleyes: Everything went swimmingly! I know, couldn't help myself :D I did have one small teething problem with my regulators solenoid, but thanks to forum members and Co2Art, the problem was soon rectified :thumbup:

Nothing interesting to report over the week, just have some fungus growing on my wood and substrate. I guess it's eating up any organic matter?

Finally pushed the button and ordered my light, plus an Ehiem surface skimmer and it arrived this morning, yay :)

Ok, time for some pics..

The plastic backing has suffered since adding the water.
IMG_4474.JPG

What I woke to this morning. Glad I ordered the skimmer.
IMG_4470.JPG

We have light! I'm really impressed with the Kessil, quality bracket and the light output seems really good :)
IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

Have added a fine filter pad to polish the water to try and capture the different colour range, stay tuned.

Thanks for reading :)

Nice scape but you should have add some plants before water, you'll have some bad algae outbreak otherwise...no? :crazy:

I'm not sure tbh :)

I'm doing 60% wc every other day and won't be using the light until planted. Hopefully I'll start that next weekend. I can't see much harm in giving the filter a head start?
Nice scape but you should have add some plants before water, you'll have some bad algae outbreak otherwise...no? :crazy:

I'm not sure tbh :)

I'm doing 60% wc every other day and won't be using the light until planted. Hopefully I'll start that next weekend. I can't see much harm in giving the filter a head start?

No harm and it's a method to prevent algae before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back