• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jim's TMC Signature

Plants helps against ammonia leach and consume the nutrients of the soil...dont
No harm and it's a method to prevent algae before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems to be a strange method to me, as the pĺants help against ammonia and in doing that, help to cycle the tank faster.

Plus, plants will grow faster with fresh soil, with all that WC without plants, You're just releasing all the good nutrients from your soil...just my 2 cents.

But hey, if it works for some, should be fine anyway ;)

Plants helps against ammonia leach and consume the nutrients of the soil...dont

Seems to be a strange method to me, as the pĺants help against ammonia and in doing that, help to cycle the tank faster.

Plus, plants will grow faster with fresh soil, with all that WC without plants, You're just releasing all the good nutrients from your soil...just my 2 cents.

But hey, if it works for some, should be fine anyway ;)

Yeah, it worked for me :D I flooded 125x45x55, did water change every other day in first two weeks with filter on and light off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Eleocharis Acicularis. Foreground.
- Pogostemon Helferi. Mid left, amongst rockwork.
- Alternathera Reineckii Mini. Mid right, amongst rockwork.
- Limnophila Hippuridordes. Background, left.
- Hygrophila Siamenssis 53B, found on AquaEssentails. Background, right.

Limnophila sessiliflora was also on your short list - it's an excellent "tank starter" plant as it seems to grow vigorously from the start - some of the other plants on your list can take a couple weeks to establish before showing much growth so it's always good to have some of these supporting or auxiliary plants in as well

Tank is looking very well :D

Filling the tank & testing all the components & practising water changes is a good beginning ;)
It's much easier to plant in only slightly wet aquarium soil though, so I'd drain the tank in preparation, then have a spray bottle at hand to mist plants

Eleocharis sp "mini" Plant Handling Video

Tropica did a fantastic job with their Plant Handling Series - well worth watching!

Thank you everybody for your advice and comments :)

As promised earlier I tried to take some pictures to show the different colour levels..

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

Due to my fantastic photography skills I can't tell the difference either :lol: In real life the difference is huge.. runs off to the photography forum for a crash course :bookworm:

To compensate I took some more from different angles, quantity over quality right? :D

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4492.JPG

IMG_4493.JPG

Your camera may be automatically (white)balancing

Once you've plants in the tank, the change in light color may be more apparent (in photos) re impact on greens

I have added some additional dragon stone to the rear right and at the base of the tree to try and create more height and depth. Only minor changes so I won't bore you with the pictures :rolleyes:

Plan is to start planting next weekend, so hopefully I'll have something more exciting to show :)

Alright then :) But like I said, minor changes..

Before
IMG_4485.JPG

After :lol: Water is really cloudy today, I guess its due to the new rockwork..
IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

I have also siphoned most of the fungi from the substrate and changed wc's to 30% daily.

Hopefully back on Saturday for planting :thumbup:

Evening All :wave:

We have plants! Lots of plants!

When searching online it's hard to gauge how many plants might be needed. My initial thought was not to order too many and add to the scape over time. Fast forward to now and there's little room for planting in my tank :D

But lets start at the beginning. With my delivery due at lunchtime I had plenty time to get things ready, 1st I had to drain the tank..
IMG_4519.JPG

Boom!
IMG_4520.JPG

That only took 15 minutes, need to kill some time while I wait for my delivery :bookworm:
..and, by the power of the internet.
IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

Some random close ups.
IMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4527.JPG

IMG_4534.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG

Plant prep, Eleocharis Parvula and Alternathera Reineckii Mini
IMG_4547.JPG

IMG_4551.JPG

Pogostemon Helferi
IMG_4548.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG

Limnophila Hippuridoides and Hygrophila Siamensis
IMG_4552.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4561.JPG

Heteranthera zosterifolia
IMG_4557.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

I'll leave you with a FTS. Still need to attach some weeping moss to the branches :wideyed:
IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

The aftermath :D
IMG_4570.JPG

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed the pictures :thumbup:

Hopefully back later.

Last edited:
So the plan was to tie the moss to the branches. Showing my inexperience here :rolleyes:

IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4576.JPG

Plan B. Hopefully that's safe?
IMG_4577.JPG

Moss attached.. I had more but ran out of superglue :(
IMG_4579.JPG

Filter and skimmer switched on. Was worried that i'd lose the lot but only had a few floaters, easy to deal with :cool:
IMG_4585.JPG

IMG_4586.JPG

IMG_4584.JPG

Co2 connected and timers sorted. Glass could do with a clean but that's a job for tomorrow. I'm off for a well deserved beer ;)

Last edited:
Have done some tests this morning. Not very exciting, more for my own records..

pH - 7-8
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0.25
NO3 - 5
KH - 14
GH - 22

CO2 is running 24/7 although I'm not 100% this is working correctly :confused: Continuing with daily wc's, approximately 35%

Would you guys add ferts yet or give it some time?

I think it's a faulty solenoid, see here.. http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/faulty-solenoid.43271/ Unfortunately it was only a temporary fix. Thought it was better to leave it on than not at all?

I have emailed CO2Art for a contact number as I couldn't find one on their website, hopefully it's an easy fix.

Was also worried that I was getting very few bubbles at the atomizer. Even with the needle valve fully open is was only getting 1 bubble every 4 seconds at the BC.

Last edited:
Edit. Was also worried that I was getting very few bubbles at the atomizer. Even with the needle valve fully open is was only getting 1 bubble every 4 seconds at the BC.

To add.. After checking out videos on youtube I realised that the bubbles from my atomizer was no were near what it should be. I have removed the bubble counter and can now adjust the flow properly. Unfortunately I now think there is a problem with the BC and Solenoid :banghead:

Edit.. have just got off the phone to Co2Art who have been a great help :thumbup:

Last edited:
Day 6. Warts and all.

Evening All :wave:

Co2Art have sent a replacement bubble counter and solenoid. After installation every thing is working perfectly :D

Unfortunately I am having a few problems with my plants, Pogostemon Helferi and Limnophila Hippuridoides are slowly melting away :(
IMG_4609.JPG

IMG_4608.JPG

Heteranthera zosterifolia was showing a great improvement after planting but is now starting to yellow..
IMG_4610.JPG

Alternathera Reineckii Mini looks ok but has lost some of it's colour
IMG_4611.JPG

Eleocharis Parvula, agian was looking ok but starting to brown
IMG_4612.JPG

Have asked for advice on the Plants section https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/new-tank-various-problems.47817/, hopefully I can sort it out and get things back on track :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back