• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PFK

Nick16

hi, i am thinking of subscribing for a year. but not having ever had a copy im just wondering what its like? is there a good amount of plated tank stuff in there? also roughy how many pages per issue--- like 20, 50, 100?

I subscrise to PFK and have done for years but it's more for the general and cichlid articles than the plant ones specifically (though George's articles are very good!!). If you want a good general mag with marine stuff and interesting things then get it. your best bet is probably to go along to your local WHSmith or similar and have a look and buy one or two before subscribing for a year.

I would agree about getting a few copies before subscribing.

There's always about two planted tank articles - sometimes more (maybe a step-by-step setup, George's 'Great Planted Tanks' and some other stuff). Then there's the main article that is usually on a certain type of fish like L-nuber Plecs, Cories or Dwarf Cichlids or something, then there's a few smaller articles on other stuff, a marine, coldwater and pond section that I don't read, FAQ section and loads of other stuff. I think it's worth it anyway, but get a few issues before subscribing to see if it's what you want.

You also get a nice free gift when you subscribe :D

yeah, instead i might buy a few books on planted aquariums. anyone know any good ones, that arent to costly? and where to get them.

Nick16 said:
yeah, instead i might buy a few books on planted aquariums. anyone know any good ones, that arent to costly? and where to get them.

Amano's Nature Aquarium World books - they are quite expensive at about twenty pounds but they're well worth it IMO from aqua essentials. there's also the IAPC books that are okay, but not as good from the green machine. apart from that, i've heard good things about the aqua journals

I like PFK, as a hobbyist who is interested in all aspects of fishkeeping.

I usually have two planted tank/aquascaping articles every month. Sometimes more. Tom Messenger also contributes and Graeme Edwards has an article coming up too. Compared to a few years ago, the planted tank is very well catered for.

Most of the info in books are outdated regarding the newer 'hi-tech' plant growing techniques i.e nutrient/CO2 dosing, flow etc.

However, you can't beat Amano's publications for inspiration.

For good info on plants themselves, the Tropica catalogue is excellent.

George Farmer said:
I like PFK, as a hobbyist who is interested in all aspects of fishkeeping.

Most of the info in books are outdated regarding the newer 'hi-tech' plant growing techniques i.e nutrient/CO2 dosing, flow etc.

Could'nt agree more George, a few weeks ago i almost bought a couple of books about planted aquariums, then noticed that one of them was published about 7 years ago! Decided to save my pennies and stick to PFK as a subscriber,the fact that some of the guys on here contribute some excellent articles to the mag is a bonus ;) The great thing about this forum is that you find people of all ages and levels of experience, and at the end of the day you really can't beat that experience :D

Yep, got to agree with all of the above.

I subscribe to PFK and find it fascinating although I'm mainly into planted. PFK does cover all aspect of fishkeeping. There is always lots of info in there about planted aquaria (more and more recently) and I read it when I'm away from my pc.

Back