• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First time Crystal Reds

Aqua360

I got some crystal red shrimp the other day! Currently keeping 5 in my 10l Dennerle cube lol, but if they do well; I definitely plan to upgrade to around 30 litres.

Anyway, I took some video of them foraging about

Tank stats:

size: 10 litres (20x20x25cm)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5ppm
ph: 6
kh: 1-2
gh: 6
tds: 280! (this was a shock to me, but the seller had them breeding in it, so I adapted my water to suit)
flora: Java trident and java moss
fauna: 5 x crystal red shrimp

Will be interesting to see how this goes, I don't expect any breeding; I will be very happy if I can keep these 5 going until I upgrade in size :)

Very nice!! I really want CRS but my tds is around 300mark...... Let me know how they get on as I really want them in my 30l cube :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Very nice!! I really want CRS but my tds is around 300mark...... Let me know how they get on as I really want them in my 30l cube :)

is your tapwater TDS high?

If you can, try to find someone in your area that breeds them using their tapwater; since there is anecdotal evidence that shrimp bred locally are more adaptable to the water parameters of that area. In honest truth, all materials and opinion online suggests tds 150, ph < 7, gh 5-6 and low kh, but its astonishing the people I've encountered that don't stick to these rules whatsoever, yet produce breeding crystals. The 280 tds in my case being a good example.

The one thing I would concede here, is that I can't vouch for the quality of crystals produced; I'd suspect shrimp bred in "non-optimal" conditions are likely to be poorer quality, but that's conjecture on my part.

have you considered RO and remineralising salts?

My tds out of the tap is around 250 but I belive my landscape rock is leaching minerals. On another post I asked the same question about this issue and apparently if the landscape rock as white lines on it then that's my problem. I monitor it daily and it increases by 10/20 tds per day!! Water changes can keep it down and if I use RO then the same issue applies.

My tds out of the tap is around 250 but I belive my landscape rock is leaching minerals. On another post I asked the same question about this issue and apparently if the landscape rock as white lines on it then that's my problem. I monitor it daily and it increases by 10/20 tds per day!! Water changes can keep it down and if I use RO then the same issue applies.

ouch, why not try sakura reds or something instead? They are very attractive too, and would likely do better in the higher tds

Back