• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I'm running x2 co2 setups on my 4ft atm. Mainly because I have another tank/co2 set up that's empty. So may as well use it. One goes into a reactor and the other goes to an in-tank diffuser under an outlet. I'm doing it, but I don't know what the benefits are (if any). What does Mr Barr say on the topic?
Wondered that about your 4 footer. I am not sure whether anyone has ever run a diffuser AND a reactor like that. It wouldn't matter as long as it supplied 40ppm etc? Have you noted a change in growth since the change?

Why doesn't your tank may cover all the bottom of the tank ? (could just be the way it is photographed ??).

You must 100% cover the base of your tank or else you are tempting cracked glass and a mighty disaster (luckily your cabinet is very water proof :eek:).

I might be miss seeing something in the picture, I do hope.

Why doesn't your tank may cover all the bottom of the tank ?
Hi Ian,

No your right, the mat doesn't cover 100% of the base of the tank (see photo). This is because the door on the cabinet is full height.

The tank is therefore 'raised' the height of the mat above the door (3-4mm) as I have cut it back the depth of the door.

I definately agree that usually it is essential to fully cover the base of the tank, but the point of a mat is to dissipate any point loads, in this case there can never be one as that part of the tank is cantilevered.

Thanks,

Danny

edge.jpg

Update

So its coming up to two weeks since i began the dry start. The moss seems to
have been doing well overall. It hasn’t attached firmly to the wood yet however is
starting to orientate itself and sending out new shoots. Another couple of weeks
and I’m confident it will have attached and filled out sufficiently ready for the flood.
View attachment 92053

Just over a week ago I added the first plant species. ‘Eleocharis Acicularis ‘mini’
and the Helianthus Callitrichoides’ I had in the incubator. I was pretty impressed
with the amount of Eleocharis in the 1-2 pot. I got around 30 small clumps out of
it that have been planted at the front left and back right of the layout.
View attachment 92054
View attachment 92055

I’ve been happy with the new growth put out by the HC now that its under the ADA
light. There were a couple of apparent ‘melt’ spots appearing in the lawn so I removed
these with the tweezer so that surrounding runners could fill the space.
View attachment 92056

One of the reasons for my choosing of the HC was its really small leaf size.
I love the way that the best aquascapers use it to their advantage in smaller
aquariums to ‘trick’ the sense of scale.
View attachment 92057

The mini hair grass seems to be rooting in the substrate no problem. It’s already
began to send out runners in other areas of the tank.
View attachment 92058

…and in other news my 316 stainless hose reducer arrived. Ooooh, shiny.
View attachment 92059

And so now its just a waiting game. Other than researching EI and Co2 my side project at the moment (after reading a
few inspirational threads on the Barr report) is to build my own custom regulator. There was a very interesting post by
Mr Barr on the benefits of running x2 solenoids/ diffusers on one tank, keep your eyes peeled for updates…
Great tank and set up, where did u find the stainless steel pipe and fittings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hi Ian,

No your right, the mat doesn't cover 100% of the base of the tank (see photo). This is because the door on the cabinet is full height.

The tank is therefore 'raised' the height of the mat above the door (3-4mm) as I have cut it back the depth of the door.

I definately agree that usually it is essential to fully cover the base of the tank, but the point of a mat is to dissipate any point loads, in this case there can never be one as that part of the tank is cantilevered.

Thanks,

Danny

View attachment 92309
The new aquariums by Red Sea, the Reefer series are not 100% supported underneath, the front panel is suspended and solely supported be the rest of the tank, so this is just fine. (I wish I had a picture of what I am talking about my reefer, but I'm sure there is an image somewhere online)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The new aquariums by Red Sea, the Reefer series are not 100% supported underneath, the front panel is suspended and solely supported be the rest of the tank, so this is just fine
Tank design & components used can determine how "safe" partly supported rimless tanks are ... in general, follow the manufacturer's recommendations (especially if you hope for any warranty support)
(eg, black vs clear silicone, glass thickness)

The new aquariums by Red Sea, the Reefer series are not 100% supported underneath, the front panel is suspended and solely supported be the rest of the tank, so this is just fine. (I wish I had a picture of what I am talking about my reefer, but I'm sure there is an image somewhere online)

This is probably acceptable with 12mm glass, the Red Sea tanks in my local shop (including the monster 120cm one) are all fully supported underneath. Not sure I would trust standard 8mm glass.

Update

Not much to report with the dry start. HC is doing particularly well in some areas,
not so in others. The water in the tank from misting is beginning to appear at the
level of the substrate, this seems to be sending it brown in places. The mosses
are also doing well and seem to be attaching to the wood. I've been busy buying
the remaining bits and bobs I still need and have done a trial fit of the lily pipes
with the cabinet setup. They are resting on the cover glass and are in the
'unbrushed' state they arrived in. I will be finishing them this week when my steel
end caps arrive, and lowering them to their final level when I flood.
Rough curves.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of updates! After flooding, the tank took a bit of a back seat since I had to return to university in January. Its been left in the hands of my brother with occasional visits from myself. EI has therefore been infrequent/ non-existent and as such the stem plants have been struggling and there has been algae. The HC, Hairgrass and mosses are doing well though. (I had to attach the moss via twine in the end) C02 is currently running 24/7 at 1bps. No livestock.
All things considered it could be much worse! The flow is excellent now that I’ve finished the stainless lily pipes, and my brothers being keeping on top of water changes. I’ve sorted a simple EI dosing guide so hopefully the stems will pull through strong!
TANK_APRIL17.jpg

The kits now all in place after initial nightmares with both atomiser and solenoids. I'll be making a cabinet 'MK2' during summer in a nicer quality ply than the current one. The soft close hinges are fantastic though, they're staying!
CABINET_INTERNAL.jpg

I'll post a full update when I get chance!
TANK_ANGLE_APRIL17.jpg

Last edited:
Back