• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter/flow..

Tom_Austin

Hi,

I'm in the planning stage of setting up a Aquascaper 900 and 600, both will be low tech.

Just wanted to check if the filter/flow will be okay. Don't really want to use powerheads, so hoping they are powerful enough with lily pipes in low tech.

Aquascaper 900 (size 90Lx50Wx45H) - 181 Litres then minus substrate and hardscape, so guessing 140 ish in total..

Jbl e1501 (1400)
Lily pipes
Low tech

Aquascaper 600 (size 60Lx50Wx36H) - 96 Litres then minus substrate and hardscape, so guessing 70 ish in total..

Jbl e901 (900)
Lily pipes
Low tech

Any help much appreciated.

Tom

I doubt you'll even need that much flow being low tech. The 10 times turnover rule only really applies to high tech tanks. You'll probably want around 5 times turnover, not that it will hurt to have higher.

For low tech, yes. Make sure to buy the correct size lily pipes and hydors for each filter as using reducers will ruin your flow rate. You chose nice filters and should the flow be even a bit more than you need they have controls on the output so you can change it.

What measurements are generally used for the 10x rule?

For example Aquascaper 900

• Outside dimensions (90x50x45) - 202.5 litres

• Internal dimensions 10mm glass (88x48x44) - 185 litres

• Internal + substrate & hard scape - 140 ish litres

Big difference between them.

Thanks
Tom

The 10x rule applies to the volume of water you have... that's what the filter works with :)
Thanks, once hard scape and substrate in will be down to 140 ish, so with a JBL E1501 (1400lph) I am at 10x, so should be fine on both.

Cheers for help :)

The x10 rule is:
- Only required for high tech tanks only
- Raw tank volume ignoring the unknown volume of substrate, pipe & filters.
- Manufacturers on the box quoted filter rate.

I had 2000l/hr filters on my 180litre tank and still suffered dead spots with associated blue drop checker, algae on plants and poor plant growth. A 3200l/hr power head fixed that.:)

Of course your tank will be different than mine. The JBLe1501 is a mighty powerful filter that keeps its flow for weeks before needing the coarse filter foams rinsing. I run mine with only 1/2 of the filter balls and rings in to keep the flow high.

Thanks Ian.

Would adding coarse sponge (pre filter) on the lily pipe inlet, restrict the flow too much?

Will look to get inlet with lots of slits, i read that should help.

Does anyone know where to get black coarse sponge from, to use as pre filter?

Thanks

Tom

Back