• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving a tank, from one room to another..

castle

Okay, I've emptied a tank, then I scaped it, used Dennerele nutribasis, capped with gravel and sand. So, I've added 20kgs of damp substrate, probably 25.

Now, I've been told by my brain to move it. So, My plan was with another mate, lift it, put it on some wood, and then move it. But for the few minutes I'd be lifting it, I'm worried about the bottom glass. I'm sure it can take a little pressure, but I thought I'd ask.

Tanks, an ada 75H..

Any advice?

drain water leaving just enough for livestock. Carefully slide tank onto a board with friend and put somewhere safe while you move the stand/cabinet to new location. lift tank to new location and carefully slide tank from board back onto cabinet. refill tank with water and restart filters. you may have some movement of the substrate which you will have to sort out when the water clears and you can see what your doing.
finally good luck:)

When I have moved my tank, I left on the stand didn't want to risk breaking the bottom of the tank. Remove (and keep) as much water as you can, remove as much equipment from stand/tank as you can and slide stand & tank to new position.

Assuming there's some reason why the stand + tank can't simply be slid into the new location, I'd just remove most of the substrate rather than take any chance of compromising the tank build
- if done carefully you can likely remove most of the layers with minimal mixing, any jumbled zones I keep in separate bags & they can be layered again in much the same orientation

75H 75x45x60cm (H) is a rather expensive tank (is this tank even still available)

Yeah, I'm emptying tank. I'm a little pissed, but it was a very expensive tank and I don't really want to compromise the tank build.

After a good £1000 in total on filter, tank, light, stand, substrate - I think I can afford to redo the £35 substrate.

The way I did mine was empty as much water as possible then use 3mm hard board with shiny side up and create a path to where you are going with it. 2 people is best if you can, one on their knees and one standing. Lift the corner onto the hard board then slide a corner at a time towards where you are going. Even if its only a few inches, there's no rush and less disturbance. The one stand just keeps things steady with it being top heavy and makes sure the tank stays with the cabinet especially when the cabinet is high gloss or has a non grippy sponge underneath.

Back