• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Goody's return to tanks,1st journal,two tanks.

Can anyone help id these?This is the pink stem I got from PAH:

pinkstem.jpg

This is my icklebickle mystery baby plant (it's roughly .75" tall):

mysteryplant.jpg

And just for the hell of it (I don't need an id!!),one of the little orange guys!!:

1gourami.jpg

(Updated tank pic in post 1).

Yay,the rest of my substrate order arrived from AE yesterday,so I made a start on the main tank last night.I think it's going to be too complicated to run both these tanks in the same thread so I guess another thread is in order once I've taken a few photos.For some reason this tank makes me feel very nervous,don't know if it's because the wee one is tucked away in my little boy's room,and this is in the living room,so obviously,everyone will see it.
Also,I think I realise that a few ferns and anubias probably aren't going to cut it,this tank will need filling.
Anyhoos,for the tank in question in this thread,not much change.Fish are all great,gouramies mega healthy and showing signs of breeding colouration (I am hoping that the initial colour differences I noted in them are correct and I do indeed have 3 pairs,certainly the ones I thought males are developing black scales on their gills and black on the bottom fin/anal?).
My two remaining ancistrus appear very healthy and happy,thank god,they are beautiful fish,I'll get some pics up soon,one is getting quite big and makes me laugh.The gouramis are very greedy and will eat the algae wafers even after they've been fed but fatso (the big plec),just barges in and lays on top of the wafer.
My little panda cories are,touch wood,great also.Was a bit concerned after releasing them,one had white on it's fins and another was so small and skinny looking that I didn't think it would make it,but all seem improved after a few days.These last two experiences with fish health should hopefully teach me to check my purchases more carefully before leaving the lfs.
Windelov babies have been attached to bogwood and are showing definite growth,Excel dosing started last night so I'll watch with interest to see how growth is affected.
My big anubias desperately needs splitting,this should give me a good supply for the new tank,both anubias seem to be growing much faster than expected,certainly faster than the ferns.
Not much growth on the stems and I think I'm losing some colour,a couple that weren't directly under the light and in the flow of the filter melted,so a bit of a learning curve there.The remaining ones seem solid enough though,so I'll see if the excel makes any difference there also.

Nice "teasing" pictures! Do we get to see the full tank?

That pink plant from P@H is actually the Hygro polysperma that was mentioned. I've got some too.

I've got some Ludwigia mullertii you can have if you're interested. It's very similar to the L. repens "Rubin" and may well be the same plant. Only trouble with Hygro and Ludwigia are the hair roots that develop which I think is why they're not at popular among 'scapers. Nice plants though.

beeky said:
Nice "teasing" pictures! Do we get to see the full tank?

Is it(hygro)?Ah well Saintly,seems I dismissed your suggestion too early,I really didn't think reading the description on AE that it would grow in this tank.It is growing but I'm not sure if it will thrive,time will tell.Beeky,does your's have very distinctive pale veins,almost white,runing through leaves varying from pink/orange to green?
Beeky,full tank shots in the first post,and not an out and out attempt to create a stunning scape as such,just something which I feel to be fairly natural and beautiful to look at :)

Yes, mine's got very distinctive veins. I'll try and get a close up of it tonight. The greener leaves are lower down and get pinker towards the light.

I didn't look at the first page, sorry. I'm just a picture addict!

By the way, I think your unidentified mini plant is Sagitaria subulata, but it maybe too small to tell for sure yet.

That sounds about right,it gradually goes green to pink top to bottom.The plantlet,it's getting bigger so I'll get a new pic.Obviously,it has long spatula shaped leaves,same width all the way up with rounded tops.I've noticed that the leaves are sort of upright during the day,and get lower and more spread out towards night time,growing in a rosette type fashion.(I've trimmed all the brown wiry roots off,taken it off the slate and planted it in the substrate as it was sending out long white thread roots).

Ray said:
Nice journal. I'd put the spraybar at the top to circulate water accross the surface then down the other side, across bottom and into intake. Back to front or side to side is OK.

Just one thought - does your florsh excel contain NPK or just traces? If it does not contain NPK then you may get deficiencies, depending on what is already in (or not in) your tapwater.

Just a thought, but if you have got Flourish Excel, it's got no NPK or Trace, but it is an organic carbon, which the plants will greatly benefit from, and has some good effects on some algae which might occur. If you want to use a liquid fertiliser, i would highly recomend Tropica's TPN+ which is available from Aquaessentials. ;)

And i must say, you are incredibly enthusiastic :D , which is just what you need in this great hobby. 8)

Keep the journal updated, i'll look forward to reading more.

Yep,Iv'e looked at the TPN+,would that replace the flourish?Ie,I'd still dose excel with TPN+?
And enthusiasm?Buckets for something I have an interest in.
My bf was watching me doing yet another water change the other night and said 'I don't kow how you can be bothered,what a pain in the arris'.
It's very like gardening,which I also love),a bit of work but very therapeutic and rewarding.But I suppose you either appreciate it or you don't.

It looks like Hygro Polysperma to be too "Rosanervig". Looks like P@H got a job lot to send round all their stores. As fot the other - I first thought Sag Subulata too, but the roots just don't seem right. Maybe just the picture though.

Goodygumdrops said:
Yep,Iv'e looked at the TPN+,would that replace the flourish?Ie,I'd still dose excel with TPN+?
And enthusiasm?Buckets for something I have an interest in.
My bf was watching me doing yet another water change the other night and said 'I don't kow how you can be bothered,what a pain in the arris'.
It's very like gardening,which I also love),a bit of work but very therapeutic and rewarding.But I suppose you either appreciate it or you don't.

You would still dose the Flourish Excel and the TPN+ daily or dependant on the plants needs.

Yea i love gardening too, and i work as a greenkeeper on a golf course, and love messing around with my aquariums. I can't get enough of plants really. :lol:

One of my veiltail ancistrus,this is the bigger of the two I'm pretty sure.Looks like it's got white edging on it's fins but they're actually shredded,hopefully this will grow back as they're still pretty small (largest one is about 2.5" body size).

plec.jpg

Hi, Is that a veiltail variation of Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus? Do you have any good closeup pics? They do have white edges to their fins & they can appear feathered or a little jagged-could be worth dropping into planet catfish with a pic or 2 & getting an opinion though if you're worried
Regards
Will

Hi Wilis,to be honest,you know more than I do!!I went and saw these in the lfs 4/5 times before I bought them and heard the owner refer to them by about 3 different names,so maybe a visit to that site with a good pic would be a good idea for a definite id.
I was checking them over this morning before I left for work and one of them has split his tail right down the middle.Hardly surprising when you see them though,I have sand substrate and they dig under the bogwood,sending up great clouds of sand with their thrashing about.

Goodygumdrops said:
Hi Wilis,to be honest,you know more than I do!!I went and saw these in the lfs 4/5 times.....

out of interest with fish shop do you use?

best regards,

john

Hi Hijac,I got the ancistrus and gouramis from The Aquarium at Bankside in Falkirk,the cories from Dobbies in Stirling.TBH,I can't wildly enthuse about either,but lfs are limited around here.
My bro has got a lot of fish from Riverside in Stirling,but I'm biding my time for a visit to Inside Outside in Haddington.
I had a conversation with one of the guys at Dobbies the other day and he did tell me that they will happily order specific fish for you if they can get them so that's worth bearing in mind.In general though,unless Inside Outside changes my mind,I'm really not impressed with the condition of fish in lfs and in the future am considering just buying from other hobbyists/breeders.

Hi,
Goodygumdrops said:
I was checking them over this morning before I left for work and one of them has split his tail right down the middle.Hardly surprising when you see them though,I have sand substrate and they dig under the bogwood
Firstly it might be an idea to check your bogwood for any particularly sharp bits and remove them to prevent this happening again, just incase it is the cause. A split fin will usually repair itself given good water quality & a little time. Is your tank cycled fully as the fish with the split could be susceptible to a bacterial infection such as fin rot,so it's best to keep up the regular water changes & keep an eye on him? If you're finding it doesn't heal then a mild treatment like melafix will probably do the trick but as I say there are lots more knowledgable people at planet catfish for this kind of info.
N yeah lots of shops don't tend to know which ancistrus species they're getting & tend to just lump them all together as if they're all the same!?
Regards
Will

Hey Willis,I'm not big into this cycling malarky,I just use mature filters and trust me,water changes are not a problem :lol: Two 50%+ changes bi#weekly plus lots of smaller sand vacs (I'm completely anal,pardon the pun,about visible poo!!).
I'll keep an eye on them,still seem healthy,they were munching up their algae wafers half an hour ago.Tank is due a 'big' clean on Sunday,I'll run my hands over the bogwood then.

Hi Goody,
:lol: (pun) N yeah that's cool - just checking-I tend to do the same with my filters too. Beautiful fish though & an interesting addition to any planted tank (providing you have wood) & very entertaining! Good luck
Regards
Will

Still here,just NO time for anything at the mo,tanks are going great,plants are all doing well.My mystery plant has sent off a runner and another plantlet,and ferns and mosses are multiplying.
I won't be around much until I get a routine going,just shut my shop and my head is up my arris most of the time,coupled with being 3 months gone is making me even more scatterbrained than usual.
I just had to pop in to say though,I HAVE BABIES!!!!!Yay!!
Out of my 6 Honey Dwarf Gouramis,I got just one female,thought the time had come to move the extra males to the main tank to give my female and the nicest male peace (a few days ago),and really gave no thought to much else until I was cleaning the wee one's room and wondering why my male was being so nasty to the female?
Really nasty,so I had a look and BABIES!!Not many,about 20,so female is in the big tank now and dad seems a very diligent dad.Fingers crossed for some survivors,but first spawn,so time will tell!!

Back