• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Please - New Aquarium (after not being in the hobby for 3 years)

Thanks, it has been a frustrating time however I have now started decorating the house so got the painting done and the soil in for now.

It is at least starting to look like an aquarium and not a glass coffin. Holding off until I get the stainless steel & acrylic background next before hardscape and plants. Just decided rather than messing around with the pipework twice it would be easier to get it done right once.

Going to get some custom made stainless pipework locally though. Just means I can get a spray bar, have it all internal thread so clean lines and for easy dismantle/cleaning later. And can run perfect pipework to the filter with minimal clear soft tubing.

Am just getting magnet bars, door baskets and cable tidies sorted for the wiring internally as well. Plant on making a false front to the inside of the rear wall so there can be cable trays screwed to it and then not be seen. Either with smoke acrylic or finding some matt anthracite board and cutting to suit. That way if I divide the internal double cupboard up I can get a quarantine tank sorted later.

So yeah lots to do. However now that I have had a weekend of decorating and getting things moving forward I have calmed (ignore that the radiator hasn't been painted behind, need to take it off the wall and paint there this week).

Just got to wait for Nick to confirm my refund for the loss of soil. It ended up being two tubs worth, one was almost empty obviously lost by spilling in van and the were both soggy on the bottom so had turned to mulch.

SkZbccQ.jpg

So I have got a refund being processed for the lost content on the tubs which is good. I saved as much as possible and that was about 8x10KG tubs in the picture. I have now got 48kg of Seiryu Mini Landscaping Rock which cost me £123.48 total or around £2.57 per kg which I think is reasonable. Its from Zooplus and they show the number of rocks and approximate size. I ordered two sets of the 120cm

This works out at:

Rock Sizes:
XXL: approx. 35 cm x 2
XL: approx. 25 cm x 2
L: approx. 16 cm x 2
M: approx. 12 cm x 6
S: approx. 6 cm x 10

Total rock count of 22. Should hopefully be enough as still have the wood which I may try and save by scrub and clean as it's nice wood. Just wasn't feeling the sandy/clay colour lava rock like before.

I can't remember what wood type it is though as would like to get a lot more in honesty.

Wow... So sorry to hear of all the hassle. Hopefully the worst has come and it's smooth sailing from here on out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Doubu, I am also hoping I have had the worst of it haha. We shall see though. Can't wait to get the rock here and start to landscape with the wood and that. I still need to find more wood to match though.

And I am currently looking at what C02 kit to get now.

I have just found this on Ebay and thought if I did get it then I can get a 2nd bottle and switch them over whilst the other gets refilled.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AQUA-PLANT-aquarium-CO2-set-/272461490625?hash=item3f6ff869c1

So, got chatting away and ended up ordering a load more rock :D

So yeah I have ordered a 100cm and an 80cm set on top of my other two 120cm sets.

That would take us up to:

XXL: approx. 35 cm x 2
XL: approx. 25 cm x 3
L: approx. 16 cm x 4
M: approx. 12 cm x 14
S: approx. 6 cm x 20

Total Weight 69kg of rock. Hopefully that will suit better and depending I will ever smash up these rocks or get some slate to suit (although honestly the slate isn't much cheaper). At £181.46 or £2.62kg I don't think that's bad bearing in mind it's £6.89kg on the Green Machine and that would have been £475.41 :nailbiting: or Aqua Essentials (my usual place to shop at for plants and hardscape) would be £247.71+£5.99 delivery.

First two boxes of rocks out of 4 are on way from Hagen - Germany. Didn't realise that it wasn't a UK warehouse as not stated but it doesn't change anything other than watching the DHL thing in anticipation. Should be a good weekend if arrives on time.

Haha, this has become hysterical. Out of the 4 boxes ordered:

1 box has been lost (24kg of rock walked off)
1 box has been damaged (they had enough of being in the plane I guess and wanted out)
2 are here in UK getting ready to be dispatched but only the smaller boxes of little rocks

So yeah looks like it will be the new year now before I get this sorted hardscape wise :(

This has been a bit of an epic journey just to get this far, just like the film planes trains and automobiles! Very interesting reading all the same and I'm sure that it will be great in the end.

Hope your Christmas shopping has been a little easier for you:):)

Thanks papa_cee,

My xmas shopping has gone swimmingly compared to this haha. Only one more gift to get on that front.

Yes I am not sure mines quite on that epic scale but thank you. I am just hoping it can all come together. My 5L of Tropica Ferts has arrived so that's good. With me talking about low tech (no CO2) with Anubias,Java's etc then I reckon I can get almost a year out of the bottle with daily dosing on the lower scale although if I ramp up to medium with CO2 then maybe 6 months then.

So have ran out of stone and wood and have only got this far so need to order lots more.

Oh I forgot to explain. The box was smashed but contents was OK, they found the lost package in Manchester sorting office and I went and picked all the rocks up this morning at 6:30am to get on with it. So yeah as far as I got dropping them in the tank in 5 mins to see what I need to order and how much more:

3TINfZI.jpg

Sorry quick picture to get idea.

Will spend some time playing around with this. And will set up the journal later (or ask mod to move this over at least).

General
afF6ySN.jpg

sEyXx1k.jpg

oDophyi.jpg

2mUXKGp.jpg

dgT8RkP.jpg

My viewing position on sofa
tP2dexj.jpg

4CbqDzx.jpg

Local areas
MCvA78i.jpg

Hr4tYb5.jpg

1PKIRi6.jpg

cczFObJ.jpg

YURoFDg.jpg

8xmosUt.jpg

Commments:
I want to move the rock at the rear left up but need to get something to sit it on in the tank that can be covered like egg-crate or just more rock to place under. Also then need a new bit of wood as I have used what was there to go to the right of the tank. Tweaks will be done over next few weeks but of course if anything has some really obvious, why didn't you do this then just say :)

Cheers Costa, certainly a start. I have moved some of the smaller sections about to suit what can be planting areas later so shapes a little more organic and not so square. Will no doubt get a lot more tweaks later on.

Decided after a lot of debate that the wood is the right shape and size overall but the wood is too thick so am on hunt for similar piece that overall thickness is thinner. Monies waiting to get such a piece.

Also I have done some tweaks, the rock to the rear left has been propped up and looks much better and not hidden behind the wood as much.

The other side has had some tweaks to make some arcs of substrate to allow planting and break up the hardscape more. Just minor but again will get a picture to compare and see which way to go. It may well go back to how it was yet.

I love the amount of time and patience you've put into this. With that attitude it's sure to turn out great.

Thanks MrH, I wish the time and effort and patience was all put into the aquarium and being able to have scaped it over a few months however misses wants it running by start of February cause she is fed up of the glass box in the living room being empty.

It will get there, just lots of setbacks have made what should of been a total turn around of 6 weeks become around 18 weeks. Am hoping I don't fail at the plants. I am not all the green fingered tbh.

In that regards, has anyone got a system of auto pumping ferts into the aquarium via the outflow pipe?

Back