• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regular pointing up, any tricks

fourmations

hi all

when i connect up my regulator to my FE and tighten it all up
the needle valve is pointing upwards and i cant fit it in my press,
Im just using the standard adapter with a washer
any tricks for this? deeper washer? pfte tape?

many thanks

Hi

heres the unit, where im holding it is where the connection is
when i tighten it all up it ends with the fine tuning knob pointing upwards
i need it to point down, cheers

20161206_132554_zpsgao9kujq.jpg

Last edited:
wow that was quick, just added a bit of text there to the photo before you posted again...
my FE goes in a small cupboard with not a lot of height, so i need the needelevalve and fine tuner bit to point down
i used different FE's years ago in the same location and was just luck that it did point down, these are different and it points up
id imagine a slight difference in the washer thickness would do it but it would be trial and error and i dont know what
washer i could use thats handy to get, they are nitrile if i remeber correctly

thanks

hi

sorted it with pfte tape, just put a bit on the threads of the FE and the regulator to adapter,
which made my regulator stop at t abetter posiion when tightened up.,
using pfte is another mixed opinion thing on the internet, some say yes, some say no,
any opionions?

thanks

using pfte is another mixed opinion thing on the internet, some say yes, some say no,
CO2 dissolves in some rubbers/silicone especially if under pressure. This can cause melting or hardening of the rubber/silicone. The washers in a FE are generally Teflon (and high quality CO2 one way valves I notice) that is PTFE so I assume PTFE is fine.

However you shouldn't really be sealing the thread is this indicates the main Teflon sealing washer isn't working. However, again, if it works for you that is fine. I assume you left it overnight to check for leaks ? Do this by closing needle valve, open FE handle, make a note of bottle pressure gauge reading (pen mark on dial is useful), close FE handle and check that bottle pressure gauge hasn't changed in the morning.

thanks ian,

i have a proper washer
the pfte tape is just reducing the amount that the adapter turns until tight very slightly
thus leaving my regulator in a better position
but i'm just thinking now that maybe its compromising the seal on the washer
ill do some tests later, its been "active" (handle locked open but solenoid off)
since last night so hopefully its not empty!!

thanks

Back