• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1st Planted Tank growth

Hooky

This is a picture of my rotala rotundifolia, its been planted for around 3 weeks now and has grown between 5-10cm in length. Its leaves have now started to change shape so at what point should I start to see colour change? its planted in low tech set up with 2x 28w T5 lighting for 6 hours a day. Also should I think about trimming now as has produced lots of side shoots or wait a tad longer?

rr.jpg

Yes, the idea is to trim often. That way it will allow the plant to bush out kinda thing. You want to try cutting it so it has a root stem to help it grow again when you replant it :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

From my experience, I think for it to turn redish/pink, it'll have to reach the very top. Otherwise, you'll need more intense light (testing this theory now... waiting for my other light to arrive).

Hi, literally just replied to you other thread :p like planted bows said where you cut the stem it should send out two new shoots so become more bushy over time ☺

Where exactly should I trim on the longest stem in the picture?

So where the new shoots are just above them. Does it have a white root stem above the new shoots?

Just enlarged the picture. Just as I thought it does have a white root stem. Cut just below that

I think when your viewing from the front, if you try to trim below the line of hardscape it looks more natural (as you can't see where the stem splits in two!) although I've cabomba stems in the foreground of a tank & can't do that, so just trim the top where I want the plant line to finish - but looks messier this way!

Just enlarged the picture. Just as I thought it does have a white root stem. Cut just below that

Perfect thanks for your help, I take it I just repeat the process once I start to notice white root stem on the others?

Back