• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

18L DSM, Need advice!

Bert2oo1

Hey guys just after some advice on my first attempt at a dry start 18L nano. I'll start with a few details about the tank,

It's a 200x200x220mm 18L glass cube

My lighting is a 6w LED nano lamp.

Substrate is plain gravel base(just to get the rise in the substrate) topped with fluval stratum volcanic soil. Center path is black Quartz sand.

Plants in using are:
HC Cuba
Java moss
ST Repens (once flooded)

So it's currently all setup but the questions I have are,
Should I be spraying EI ferts? Or will be substrate nutrients be enough?

Currently I have the water level sitting just below the surface of the lowest point of the substrate. Is this low enough?

The temperature in my house is about 23 degrees Celsius. Will I need to use a heating mat?

Lights are on 12 hours a day with abit of indirect sunlight. Is this enough?

The top is wrapped with clingwrap.
A pic to finish. Any help/advice would be great! Thanks!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Bert, All sounds good :thumbup: I would add a touch of ferts to the spray bottle and mist as needed. And leave a slight gap in the clingfilm top to give some air flow this helps to stop mould growth :)

Awesome thanks a heap! Would using water from my 30g planted tank work for the fert mist? Or would I be better off making up a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks a heap! Would using water from my 30g planted tank work for the fert mist? Or would I be better off making up a solution?

Hi Bert, I use boiled water and let it cool down. Then fill up the spray bottle with 100ml and add a touch of ferts to this. After a couple of weeks. I would replace the water and ferts in the bottle. It depends on how much misting you need to do On a DSM in a small tank 100ml should be Ok for a couple of weeks ;)

Hi Bert, I use boiled water and let it cool down. Then fill up the spray bottle with 100ml and add a touch of ferts to this. After a couple of weeks. I would replace the water and ferts in the bottle. It depends on how much misting you need to do On a DSM in a small tank 100ml should be Ok for a couple of weeks ;)

Cool thanks for all your help!

Back