• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I am very new to aquascaping and still learning. I am not familiar with them but morelikely they have shop in Mongkok where the "goldfish street" is located. I am located in hk island and going there is almost an hour via train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

definitely worth the 1 hr trip i guess , if you are into aquascaping ,not sure if he still has a planted shop, you might need to check it out yourself , a old video of him

I am thinking of adding plants as well. Can you suggest plants of similar size as I don't want to change the scale I have now. I am thinking if I should be patient for my Littorella uniflora to thrive more.
Co2 atomiser position. I suggest that you take a week or so to observe plants' development. If the plants are growing well and spreading then probably good to leave it as it is. But if you are really bothered about the location due to asthetic reasons... then go ahead and change it! :)

just be mindful to observe the plants' development whenever you change something. I also forget that sometimes in my own eagerness to tinker with my tank. :) in fact I am so guilty of making too many changes in my tank at one go which resulted in an imbalance. The imbalance then went on to induce algae and BBA.

Pearling and CO2 level. Many possibilities why the size of the pearling is different. One reason could be that the position of the needle valve on the solenoid is not the same as before resulting in different level of CO2 and therefore development of the plant and rate of photosynthesis.

Maybe someone else can share their experience. I would only caution that as you add more livestock (especially expensive ones) into your tank... be careful of what you change. And if you have to change... change slowly. Sad to say.. I am speaking from experience of losing livestock because of my own impatience.

Position of airstone. As above. :)

As for adding plants, sorry can't really help you as I don't have too much experience in carpetting plants.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

definitely worth the 1 hr trip i guess , if you are into aquascaping ,not sure if he still has a planted shop, you might need to check it out yourself , a old video of him

Tried searching about them and got to remember them on my early searches about aquascaping. Not sure if they still have their shop though, but will try to do some searches and see if I can drop by if there still existed. Biggest issue I have with shops here is one-language as I can only speak English to them and second-photography is prohibited in most of the shops I see.

Co2 atomiser position. I suggest that you take a week or so to observe plants' development. If the plants are growing well and spreading then probably good to leave it as it is. But if you are really bothered about the location due to asthetic reasons... then go ahead and change it! :)

just be mindful to observe the plants' development whenever you change something. I also forget that sometimes in my own eagerness to tinker with my tank. :) in fact I am so guilty of making too many changes in my tank at one go which resulted in an imbalance. The imbalance then went on to induce algae and BBA.

Pearling and CO2 level. Many possibilities why the size of the pearling is different. One reason could be that the position of the needle valve on the solenoid is not the same as before resulting in different level of CO2 and therefore development of the plant and rate of photosynthesis.

Maybe someone else can share their experience. I would only caution that as you add more livestock (especially expensive ones) into your tank... be careful of what you change. And if you have to change... change slowly. Sad to say.. I am speaking from experience of losing livestock because of my own impatience.

Position of airstone. As above. :)

As for adding plants, sorry can't really help you as I don't have too much experience in carpetting plants.

Actually the atomizer is in the best position I want. My filter and cylinder are beside the tank. The hc seems to thrive, I just went ahead and post it to get suggestions. But I think I will take your comment that if plants are okay then it may be in it's optimum position already.

So it's called pearling, ty for that. I think I need to raise my co2 a little bit as hc are much denser now same goes with the grass.

Thank God, no issue with algae so far.

I don't worry much with livestock as I only bought the basic neon tetras. If my tank is a little bit bigger maybe I can invest more. But I am trying to control in buying anymore fish as it's already overgrowded with the tetrasas it is. But I am still thinking if I can squeeze in one or two algae eater maybe a siamese?

For the airstone, I like it when I turn it on during co2 off. But kinda get bothered by the glass when looking at an angle as it seems to distrupt the iwagumi feel. By the way, not the best glass stick as it's so hard to put the tubing. Is there any tubing size a bit bigger use for airstone?

Hmmm, good pointer. I need to check on carpetting plants as I can't really go with stem plants as it would change my overall layout, or I can?

I feel my outflow is not giving enough surface agitation. Can you please advise what you think?

I have a small hob filter from my old mini tank that I tried use to help clean out the surface.

Last edited:

I feel my outflow is not giving enough surface agitation. Can you please advise what you think?

I have a small hob filter from my old mini tank that I tried use to help clean out the surface.

Airstones. I have not used glasswares for airstones before. Based on your video and pictures, I suppose part of the fun is to go shopping around for something that you like and try to fit it into your tank and budget.

As for algae eaters, you can look into the different species of otocinclus catfish. But these guys are quite sensitive and survival rates are low because of the stress they received during the transport from overseas to your local aquarium. They will help you deal with brown diatoms and the softer green algae. They are omnivorous and therefore will eat pellets as well. I think 2 or 3 will be enough in your tank. I have kept up to 4 before in my previous 60cm tank but that tank was more heavily planted than yours. Healthy otos can be a good indication of water quality in a tank.

Personally I avoid siamese or SAE. These guys grow really fast and can be up to 10cm. There are people who are fans of SAE. I removed mine with much difficulties because they move very fast.

Some people like snails to deal with algae. That could be an option. But I can't advice you on that because I don't like them. I used sparkling gouramis to deal with snails. :) I also soaked new plants in Algaexit and Anti-snail medications before I put them in my tank. The one time I got lazy was the one time the snails got in.... :(

Lily pipes. In my old 60cm tank, the lily pipe that I used did not help breakup protein films on my water surface. In the end, I went with a surface skimmer. And relied on a normal airstone to improve oxygenation. It was only later on that I found out that different people have different level of success with different designs of lily pipes. So abit of trial and order is needed as the outflow of your filter may also play a part. Actually, I don't see anything wrong with your outflow. So if you have not observed protein film on the water surface... then all looks good. :)

Airstones. I have not used glasswares for airstones before. Based on your video and pictures, I suppose part of the fun is to go shopping around for something that you like and try to fit it into your tank and budget.

As for algae eaters, you can look into the different species of otocinclus catfish. But these guys are quite sensitive and survival rates are low because of the stress they received during the transport from overseas to your local aquarium. They will help you deal with brown diatoms and the softer green algae. They are omnivorous and therefore will eat pellets as well. I think 2 or 3 will be enough in your tank. I have kept up to 4 before in my previous 60cm tank but that tank was more heavily planted than yours. Healthy otos can be a good indication of water quality in a tank.

Personally I avoid siamese or SAE. These guys grow really fast and can be up to 10cm. There are people who are fans of SAE. I removed mine with much difficulties because they move very fast.

Some people like snails to deal with algae. That could be an option. But I can't advice you on that because I don't like them. I used sparkling gouramis to deal with snails. :) I also soaked new plants in Algaexit and Anti-snail medications before I put them in my tank. The one time I got lazy was the one time the snails got in.... :(

Lily pipes. In my old 60cm tank, the lily pipe that I used did not help breakup protein films on my water surface. In the end, I went with a surface skimmer. And relied on a normal airstone to improve oxygenation. It was only later on that I found out that different people have different level of success with different designs of lily pipes. So abit of trial and order is needed as the outflow of your filter may also play a part. Actually, I don't see anything wrong with your outflow. So if you have not observed protein film on the water surface... then all looks good. :)

Glassware for airstone is just a marketing bluff. I would not recommend them. They might look good, but it's something I can live without. If I have known better when I bought the glassware, I should have bought the below
:
P2632-F1-20140813152021.JPG

I am not sure of their effectiveness, but seems the addition of skimmer will give further surface agitation. Anyone who have use this before?

Since you have mentioned otocinclus catfish, I have actually seen one when I bought my shrimps. At that time, I am just not sure if they are the right one I am looking as seeing pictures on the computer and on actual really is hard for me especially since I literally just know a few fish. At the moment, I am satisfied with the performance of my shrimps and no algae so far (hopefully I am right to think none at the moment) I am thinking if adding otos will really get the balance off due to overcrowding. I guess it's a common issue for starters to want to get different fish in the tank when they see spaces still available. I am trying to not indulge on this, but more of want to make sure what I put in will serve a function in the system rather than just for aesthetics.

Thanks for mentioning the SAE, 10cm is way to big for my very small tank. I am maxout to about 2" for a fish, else I will loose the scale. Maybe in the future given the chance to get a much bigger tank.

I actually tried searching what is a protein film, as I am not really acquainted with it. Thankfully, my tank don't have it yet. You maybe right that the outflow is fine. I might just want to see more movement where the fact is, the outflow maybe giving just the correct flow. Just the right force for my setup.

Otos are beautiful fish. I particularly like the way they swim around from leaf to leaf. They are very small too, grow up to 3cm, so I don't think they are going to be a major burden on your filter. As sgdiscus pointed out, otos are sensitive and you will get deaths, but the fishes that survive the first few days will live happily. I wouldn't feed on the first couple days and I would also keep the lights and CO2 off to maximize your chances of successful introduction to your tank.

Otos are beautiful fish. I particularly like the way they swim around from leaf to leaf. They are very small too, grow up to 3cm, so I don't think they are going to be a major burden on your filter. As sgdiscus pointed out, otos are sensitive and you will get deaths, but the fishes that survive the first few days will live happily. I wouldn't feed on the first couple days and I would also keep the lights and CO2 off to maximize your chances of successful introduction to your tank.

Given the comment about their size, I am more interested in getting one soon. Never thought they are that sensitive, as the one I saw actually is just in a plastic ready for sale along the streets in mongkok (goldfish street) here in Hong Kong.

http://www.goldfish-market.hk/how-to-get-to.html#.WFQxKVN9600

Before knowing more about the otos from you guys, I almost got to buy an Albino Gold Bushy Nose Plecostomus (please correct me if I got it wrong but this is the one I saw and just an inch in length). I've told myself that I will not be buying anything that I put in the aquarium without getting much information, so I ended not buying it thinking it might not be suitable for my tank or it might grow too big.

plecos.JPG

I don't know about plecos. I never liked them. I know people are crazy about them - I find them appalling.

If I were you I would go for corys or otos. Or maybe even both: otos will clean the algae off your plants and wood, and corys will keep your substrate free of any food remains.

Just make sure to have room for at least 6 of each. Also make sure to count them at least twice per day and remove any dead fishes as a single dead fish can poison the water with ammonia.

I don't know about plecos. I never liked them. I know people are crazy about them - I find them appalling.

If I were you I would go for corys or otos. Or maybe even both: otos will clean the algae off your plants and wood, and corys will keep your substrate free of any food remains.

Just make sure to have room for at least 6 of each. Also make sure to count them at least twice per day and remove any dead fishes as a single dead fish can poison the water with ammonia.

Thank you for your suggestion. 6 for each will surely overload my system. If I to introduce another fauna, I might get max of 3 for both maybe.

82e0fd399cd8bfbcd82723dbea1a8ea0.jpg

I think my tank is doing good as I notice my tetras getting fat and very active.

I just have question about shrimp. Is frequent change of their shell a good thing?

Three isnt good enough for these fishes.

Your tetras need some hiding places. I would add some surface plants until your tank plants grow.

Also, "active" isn't always a good thing, might be due to stress, I'm guessing your tetras feel exposed.

Great looking tank, very nice aquascape!

Stress or not if they active but tend to group together then they feel insecure, if they are active and spread across whole tank than they are healthy. If they not eating and stay at one place, not joining others then they are really stressed , sick or something wrong

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

Three isnt good enough for these fishes.

Your tetras need some hiding places. I would add some surface plants until your tank plants grow.

Also, "active" isn't always a good thing, might be due to stress, I'm guessing your tetras feel exposed.

Great looking tank, very nice aquascape!

Thanks for that, never thought being active can also be a sign of stress. However, I think they already "owned" the tank as they are already on all corners. Their behavior have changed since I first introduce them on the tank.

Stress or not if they active but tend to group together then they feel insecure, if they are active and spread across whole tank than they are healthy. If they not eating and stay at one place, not joining others then they are really stressed , sick or something wrong

I notice during their first few hours in the tank that they just crumple in one corner. A few days then, they started exploring. Also, before when I put food they just wait for it to get drop. Now, they can't wait and get it from the surface!

I think what he said "active" means fish darting around in tank? When fish first introduced into a new tank they tend to pack together and swim fast along tank wall. When they feel secure they will start to form loosely pack all over the tank.

I think what he said "active" means fish darting around in tank? When fish first introduced into a new tank they tend to pack together and swim fast along tank wall. When they feel secure they will start to form loosely pack all over the tank.

Thanks for the clarification. I am happy with what they have become now.

Lucky you didn't bought that bushy nose, not only outgrow and will definitely mess up your tanks, suitable and similar would be otos

Lucky you didn't bought that bushy nose, not only outgrow and will definitely mess up your tanks, suitable and similar would be otos

Thank you for that. At the moment, I may restrain from adding fauna. I would like to focus on the flora for the meantime. Just searching for suitable plants appropriate for my tiny tank.

Finally got my otos! I hope they are otos as I got problem identifying fishes when I went to the "goldfish street" due to me not able to communicate in cantonese.

f5fe78600b8f0cf720275f540434753c.jpg

Tons of different fishes. I hope I can take pictures but the no photography sign are all over shops.

I saw one fish which I feel in love. I am just not sure if it's a baby cichlid or what species it is. And quite expensive for a small fish.

Anyway, also bought two plants

7a1615e3b0b6bb3cf92098360d72c5f5.jpg

Thinking of putting the ammania at the nack of main rock. And maybe some on the side. Not sure yet about the riccia.

Back