• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

This driftwood.

I found this drift wood on the bank of a lake in near by forest (temperate forest). It has really nice twisting, anyways half portion of it was very well dried and another half portion is not so dried. It fits well for my 29G tank. my question is is this a hard wood or soft wood, wood has some cracks, weighs average neither too low nor too heavy. bottom portion (white portion in image) looks denser compared to tip. can I use this wood for aquarium ? most fishes I am planning to keep are Tetras who like acidic water.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzz.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 149
I think it's coniferous, Spruce, Pine or Fir.
The problem with these woods is sap, so need to be old & weathered
The piece you show looks well dried & worn but it looks like there may be some bark on it, I don't mean where the sap wood doesn't cover the heart wood but on some of the smaller branches.

Pour some boiling water over the wood piece and it will be fine. Mind you it might need some support to prevent it from floating for a few weeks

Back