• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reusing substrate after massive filamentous diatom outbreak

F. Jeppesen

Been dealing with a ton of diatoms the last few months, and nothing seems to help at this point.
Instead ill do a complete rescape and make a ton of changes ( learning from my mistakes.. ). But im thinking a want to reuse my TMC nutrasoil once again. It has been running two setups for a combined 8months. Can the diatoms hide in the soil? I'll siphon the substrate out and through a sift to remove old plant material, poop etc.
It worked like a charm the last time, even though i had a ton of BGA..

From previous tanks I have set up, diatoms can last for months! By rescaping your tank you could have the same problem again and it could still last for months. Honestly I would say if you havent changed the scape yet, leave it, let the diatoms go on their own accord and just keep cleaning it.

You will always have a little bit of algae and algae spores, it's simply not possible to get rid of them.

Healthy plants = little or no algae :).

Back