• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first - "3 of life" :)

Love the echinodorus flower and the pup.
Thanks.. :) Already did cut 2 little plants off and planted them in pots.. Still 2 left on the mother and a 3th is comming. If this goes on i do not where to go with them.

Do you spray the plants with water to keep them moist?
Thank you.. :) No actualy i do very little spraying on the emersed part. The Echinodurus i've seen growing in a pot on the window sil. This plant can take it very good only leaves which are several months old slowly dry out. But the older it gets the beter it takes. The Pogostemon also takes it very good and doesn't mind.. Tho the tank evaporates a litre of water a day, it seems to be moist ebough for them..

Omg.. :eek: Here we go again a sequel of "I think i'm in love"
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/i-think-i-am-in-love.37099/

And this year it is 2
DSCF7881.jpg

Flower buds of the Nymphaea Rosenymphe Bonsai.. Actualy never thought it would get it to flower again since i upped the flow in the tank.. And it didn't till, now.. What i find most remarkable that the first flower last year also came in november.. Now this little lily got me thinking, why again in november?? Is there something in the daylight making it trigger to flower? It recieves little daylight since the tank is in a room with several windows, tho no direct light but still and the tank lights are unchanged in periode. Strange wouldn't expect daylight having effect, but coinsidence it flowers in the same month? I noticed last year daylight having effect on the flower, because it closes at night and the flower started to close at daylight dusk despite the tanklights still 100%..

All this makes me think there must be something in the daylight the plant reacts to and something artificial lights does not have.. Or is it carcadian rythme?? It al makes no sence to me, outdoors they flower in the summer in door in the winter?.

Anyway exciting times ahead.. If all goes as planned i might be able to show 2 lily flowers within 10 days.. :woot:

Besides the lily the little Buce mini Caterine Mot. also desided to join the party and is making a flower bud at the same time. :)
DSCF7882.jpg

Did some WC and cleaning to day and thought it might be time for some updates. :) I changed a bit and took out all the carpet hair grass and Monte carlo. I kinda didn't like it anymore and this tank is so cramped up it was a pain in the but to maintain it. Tank to small or to large hands, anyway it's out and i like it a lot beter. :)
DSCF8042.jpg

Also the HC that was growing emersed on the wood in the right back corner is taken away. It now reveals the little Buce that was overgrowen by the hc for more than a year. It is the same age and kind as the large buce in the middle..
DSCF8029.jpg

Remarkable it survived for so long completely hidden and overgrown and it grew a fat little rizhome and just few little leaves.
DSCF8028.jpg

The echinodurus is unstoppable, it keeps sheding old and growing new leaves and keeps happily flowering in the same rate. Also a remarkable hardy and vertile plant.
DSCF8035.jpg

The pogostemon stellatus is going completely mental and growing a bit out of proportion, never expected it to grow so large.
DSCF8030.jpg

But whats intersting is the new growth it is forming at it's base at the water surface. Here you see some new emersed and bellow it still some submersed growth. The submersed growth is not from the mother stem, this is rooted into the substrate. Whats already emersed i going to trim in time to get a better proportioned denser shrub above the tank..
DSCF8027.jpg

This tank is about to near it second year. :) And changed a lot over this time.. It actualy changed enough to try to keep it running and see how all that changed is going to turn out.
DSCF8033.jpg

I shot from above for once without the lily blocking all the view.. No idea actualy what happened with lily.. She stopped growing floating leaves and sheded all the old ones.. Now is bussy making very tiny submersed leaves close to the substrate at the time.No idea what she has in store for me and if it ever comes back.
DSCF8043 (Kopie).jpg

:)

Last edited:
Thank Tims.. :) Yes indeed it is a very pleasant dimensions to work with. At the beginning i thought it needed to be more shallow for this concept.. But that's maybe only in the way we perseive it.. Minus substrate it only has about 15 to 20 cm in the back, compaired with nature it's very shallow. I bit wider would be welcome, like 60 x 40 -(45) x 30.. :)

Today some rigorous cleaning.. Had to, already had surface skum for weeks and wondering where the hell it came from. Obviously is was from my piece of driftwood with marginal vegitation.. It hasn't been removed for over a year, lots of duckweed stacked up behind it and accumulated a lot of old dead melting vegitation in it.. And this was constantly poluting my surface water.. So i had to take it out, give it a trim, search for old melting leaves and flush it out above the sink.. And it was necessary, a lot came out.

Well can't say it didn't grow.. A huge bush of M. pteropis Mini Needle.. :)
DSCF8108 (Kopie).JPG

And a nice Anubias nana.
DSCF8110 (Kopie).JPG

This is how the tank looks without it. :) And the first time for me too, to see the Echinodorus Kleiner bähr in it's full glory without being hidden behind the fern etc..
DSCF8107 (Kopie).JPG

DSCF8104 (Kopie).JPG

DSCF8106 (Kopie).JPG

Looks like a complete different tank like this..
DSCF8113 (Kopie).JPG

Looking at it like this for the first time kinda gives me new ideas too.. Dunno yet. :) But i like it..

wicked growth there mate
Thanks Roy, :) That Java mini needle realy goes mental in this tank, that black blob in the middle bellow the Buce is a simmular large bush of the same fern. Started about a year ago with a tiny cutting. It gets relative high light and co2.. In the low tech it is a rather diffucult plant staying very small and very slow. :)
Love your bar (bear). Can't say it really kleiner though. It does not look like small I mean. ))
Thanks Alexander.. I didn't expect this either, all i did is never trim its submersed form and suddenly it changed grow form into this.. It's about 60 cm at the time i guess about the limit with what i can give. Me too i wonder how they got to the name Kleiner.. :) The other name Jungle star is more suitable in this case. It is the start of this jungle..

Last edited:
Hey zozo,

I am planning on setting up a 120 litre tank with some emmersed growth. Which aquatic plants have you had success with in terms of growing out of the water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey zozo,

I am planning on setting up a 120 litre tank with some emmersed growth. Which aquatic plants have you had success with in terms of growing out of the water?

There are quite a few, look at the emersed growing section of this forum, there you'll find lots of inspiration.
My personal experience with plants doing very good emersed, i mean rather low humidity and lower room temperatures in wintertime.
As above Echinodorus, i got the Dennerle Jungle Star Kleiner bähr, but have seem others on window sils too.. Pogostemon Stellatus, Hemianthus callitrichoides, lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Utricularia graminifolia. Above another tank i got Hygrophilla Lancea and Hydrocotyle Tripartita. Rotala indica also does good.. Cyperus Helfiri i know for sure also isn't that picky..

But as said, there are more in the emersed growing section i didn't try myself yet.. :) You also can look in the Wabi Kusa section.. But also many plants need a very slow transition to emersed growing in lower air humidity.. But what summed up above are realy easy (for me)..

If you have a local shop selling pond plants, have a look there too, you'll be surpriced how many tropicals you'll find we also buy in the lfs for aquarium.
For example there you'll maybe find Myriophyllums and rotalas, bog pimpernel, small carex, penny wort and many other bog plants more hardy and easier to grow than regular aquariumplants. :thumbup:

Thank you, I will check that out. I'm hoping to get my hands on a few of those plants over the next week. I will try and find the kleiner bähr because that plant looks absolutely stunning! I'll keep you updated on my progress

Back