• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many of you have a quarantine tank running?

How many of you have a quarantine tank running?

• I do

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I do not.

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

castle

I had a CPD with fins that looked like they were drooping, and in an all round beaten shape. Lots of lost condition, and very pale with a weak swim. By chance, not intention I had a 60l tank that had gone wild (algae and all sorts of bugs in it... I was planning to take it down) that I moved him too. This was a few weeks ago, and today I noticed his thins are spread and colourful again. I think he's a little way off a full recovery, but yeah, I'm happy.

Albeit unintentional, it's the first time in years I've had a quarantine tank, and I'm really glad I do.

Last edited:
Hi all,
By chance, not intention i had a 60l tank that had gone wild (algae and all sorts of bugs in it... I was planning to take it down) that I moved him too.
I have a similar tank (even though the description could apply to any of my tanks), basically a planted tank, with a filter (often two filters) where I have a spare sponge and plants etc. The only difference is that I'm a bit laxer with water changes.

I stuff spare plants, bits of wood etc. in it, but I also use it if I have new fish, or I have fry, or I have a fish that is being bullied etc.

cheers Darrel

Running anything between 15 - 25 tanks at home at any time..........there's allways a place for quarantine :rolleyes:.............
- I would not dream of letting anything un-quarantined near some of my breeding-stock-angels........it took me years of selective breeding, to get the quality :stop:.

Whenever I set up a quarantine tank...it eventually ends up so full of grown-up fish fry, shrimp and plant cuttings that I can no longer consider it a quarantine tank.

So I don't always have an actual spare quarantine tank going, but I do often set up a new temporary tank to quarantine new fish/shrimp depending on the source.

I keep one extra tank going that is minimally stocked. It has been crucial if I want to quarantine and in saving lives. In particular shrimp, if I mess up with a water change and they curl up like dead roaches I plonk them in the quarantine tank and 'poof' they revive. Disaster averted. I also use it to temporarily Alcatraz bullies.

I have two small tanks which I've used to quarantine fish...It is very handy for bullied fish also...I used to keep platies and male platies would bully each other to death..even in a quite large tank, they'd not let go of the chosen opponent and literally harass them non-stop...If I don't move the bullied fish, it succumbs to disease eventually and dies..but recovers just fine on a single holiday in the neighbouring resort :).

I have several small tanks that can be brought into use with a mature sponge filter very quickly, but dont keep one running. Space is a problem.
I have also got 2 tanks running now. Sciencefiction your post resonates strongly with me.
I restocked an almost empty aquarium with male variatus platies. Didn't want babies everywhere, so did loads of reading and it seemed that all males would be fine. LFS said they would too.
Not so! In a 125L planted tank, 6 platies became positively nasty. First the boss emerged and from that day spent all day every day bullying one platy, all others in hiding. Removed boss and things settled for a week then another boss apeared. Same thing. Tried removing bullied one and another became the bullied one. So returned the quiet ones and removed the next boss. This went on until four were in a small planted q tank. I bit the bullet and caught the last 2 (took hours they can't half shift!) Now all 6 share a small 21L planted with a female florida flag fish. No bullying !! Just the odd half hearted nip occasionally. FFF takes no prisoners, anyone trying to bully her gets chased and nipped. Haven't seen that for months though. All is peaceful.
These are beautiful iridescent blue and rainbow wagtail variatus platies.
Further reading revealed that variatus platies have been hybridised extensively with Swordtails to produce the amazing variety of colours we now see. But Swordtail aggression is also passed on Steep learning curve that

Back