• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Uhm, do Amano shrimp eat other shrimps?

Achilles1

44e875b0df9bfc44d6ac1f297ce9c0ac.jpg

I caught my Amano shrimp chewing on the remains of a crystal red shrimp. Are they known to do that? They are a lot bigger than the crystal red so I could understand that they consider them prey. it would be a shame considering the high price of shrimps at my LFS.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Amanos can be very aggressive, which is why I don't keep them; it's likely that the crystal red was already dead, but I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the amano simply preyed on it from my experience

+1 on Amanos being aggressive.

The Amanos in my tank will swim up towards the surface during feeding time. I have felt the sting of one or two Amanos on my hand when I am doing my weekly water changes. The largest one in my tank is about 5 cm excluding the feelers. I have never seen Amanos going after living fishes/shrimps. But I have observed a crew of about 5 to 6 Amanos clean up a small dead fish (1 inch) within 1 hour to just skeleton.

Back