• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED vs FLUORESCENT vs HQI vs anythins else

Nice

Lets forget about price, electricity cost, bla bla...

Lets focus on what is the best light unit for your aquarium. That i mean, what can bring more colors, more color saturation, better contrast, a more pleasant view for your aquarium.

The goal is to chose the light unit can you enjoy more seeing the aquarium.

I've got LED's, but I tend to miss fluorescents, there was something about them that created a kind of warmth in the tank; that I miss just now. LED's I've had I sometimes get the impression they wash out colours.

Of course, that's personal experience and I don't have the lifestyle to compare the top tier of each type, but I like to try and listen to other peoples experience of these :)

Well if price is no option then I think its a blend of lighting units could be a good choice, that would give the best viewing, then of course would be nice to have extended viewing so need lights to be dimable, moonlight phase etc so tank looks different under different intensity/spectrum's at different times of day too

Then depends on rimless tank or one with hood or built into wall,

I went for four 160 kessils/controler plus some T5s but only at DSM stage ATM

Some people are saying ADA SOLAR RGB is awesome, and color rendering is great, and bla bla bla, but i called GREEN AQUA store, that has got the ADA and also Fluorescent running on their tanks, and they clearly say to me that fluorescent are better choice!

Are they correct?

The thing is with the manufactured plug and play off the shelf led fixtures, you are kinda stuck with the color it gives. I can imagine it feels like a rip off if you don't like it.. When using flourescent, you go to the shop buy a new lamp in a different color, screw it in and your done.. Not realy an option with the majority of led fixture i see for sale. Tho also leds come in a variety of colors from 2700k to 10000K. That's why i made the choice on DIY, using aloy U profiles as base heatsink and LEDs on a ridgid PCB strip i can slide in and out the U profile on the fly. And choose any color i like. Till now it works like a charme i wouldn't like it any other way..

Might take some time before a smart brand realizes it's this what the customer wants and creates a nice design led fixture where you still can change out led arays for a different color. Since color seems to be more important to us than to the plant. But till now there is no manufacturer realising that.

When it comes to using RGB its actualy color wise much more versatile if you have to option to regulate (dim) each channel % wise and you know how to set it to create a certain color. Than you could create any color you like. But most led controlers i see on the led fixtures have a pre programmed fixed color scheme to choose from. If there is non you like you're still stuck with that useless gadget.

From what i read it seems Kessil is trying and doing a pretty good job, but i will never know, imho they are more trying to get stinky rich off something that doesn't need to be so expensive.

and they clearly say to me that fluorescent are better choice!

Are they correct?

It's a matter of taste only you can deside.. As said the plant obviously doesn't care..

Last edited:
Back