• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dou's Various Tanks (ADA 60P, Do!Aqua MiniM+Cube, 90x30x36, etc.)

Rescaped the 45P a bit - I wasn't very happy with my first attempt but I think I'm slowly getting it to where I want it to be. I think my hard work to add a stone to the left side has been completely smothered by the plants... Some plant re-arrangement may be in order after I sit on this a bit more. I had a lot of plant melt too - but everything appears to be rebounding quite well! It's just a matter of time now (and lots of patience, especially without the use of liquid or pressurized CO2). It's also ready for shrimp - planning to keep Golden Bees, Black King Kongs and Blue Bolts =).

t2AaHh8.jpg

Attachments

• t2AaHh8.jpg
    t2AaHh8.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 524
  • t2AaHh8.jpg
    t2AaHh8.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 383
  • t2AaHh8.jpg
    t2AaHh8.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 139
  • t2AaHh8.jpg
    t2AaHh8.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 149
  • t2AaHh8.jpg
    t2AaHh8.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 154
Thanks Tim =). So I was on a roll yesterday and decided to carry my momentum to today. Spent 3 more hours and finally am satisfied with it. 5 tries to get it to where it's at now (2 undocumented) - so pretty much the lesson is don't be afraid to make changes and get your hands wet!

HMyroCu.jpg

Attachments

• HMyroCu.jpg
    HMyroCu.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 149
  • HMyroCu.jpg
    HMyroCu.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 163
  • HMyroCu.jpg
    HMyroCu.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 138
  • HMyroCu.jpg
    HMyroCu.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 161
  • HMyroCu.jpg
    HMyroCu.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 237
Update on MiniM: I started with 10 wild CBS and now I have at least 60+ including all the tiny babies after about 4 months
1f642.png
=)! It's definitely a nice change as I had lost many shrimp in the past (and almost gave up too). Since I'm not using CO2, it is a breeze to maintain (maybe 10% WC every week with aged water soaked in almond leaves and top offs here and there) and it has minimal algae.

3vdl1a3.png

What's the rock in the new tank?

Awesome wood :D

Apologies for the delayed reply Alto - those are ADA Yamaya stones. And thank you - I love the wood too (getting poked at by friends for spending so much on it haha). Been bedridden with the flu and catching up on a lot of work...

Brio35 Update: Friends have asked me how I'm liking the setup - so far, it's only okay - I still find the vertical specs difficult to work with while maintaining it's original look (while trying to stop the side effects of additional ambient light from the living room). I have managed to control most of the algae, and it's slowly filling in! I did not dose for quite some time and kind of let the algae run its course (then manually removed everything) - which seemed to do the trick. The right side I played with again, and the wabi-kusa style is slowly filling out (REAL slow). No close-up photos yet and I find the wabi-kusa side growth to be oddly slow (perhaps not strong enough light?).

I also removed one of the original lights on the left side and replaced with a weaker one. It was too strong and causing way too many algae issues. There is an original white bulb on each side along with a weaker bulb to pair. But I may have to buy another original bulb to go onto the wabikusa side to give it a kickstart.

ICwbfKo.png

Thanks Chris. There were many months where I regretted buying this setup LOL... especially putting it in the living room with all the light from outside.

those are ADA Yamaya stones.
they look more like main stones than the typical Yamaya stone - really like this stone but find the lack of bigger pieces frustrating

I love the wood too (getting poked at by friends for spending so much on it haha).
:D just did the same- presently think it's the Best Wood Ever :lol: - more importantly the fish seem to like it

well done on the shrimp :)

Very nice hardscape, what are your plans for planting?

The vision I have in mind is a open clearing/field flowing into a forest - background with fern-like plants (if possible, so hard to find and whats available is mega expensive), windelov java fern, anubias petites, crypt balansae, misc. plants with smaller leaf structure (perhaps hydrocotyl triparita) and foreground with DHG Mini, Lilaeopsis maruitana and different types of marsilea (this grows like a weed so I am debating using it...). I already planted a lot of it and am thinking about removing it.. or going from a DHG carpet to marsilea from left to right....

they look more like main stones than the typical Yamaya stone - really like this stone but find the lack of bigger pieces frustrating

Yes me too - so I used slopes to help build the illusion =D.

Do!Aqua Cube Update: Everything is growing in, falling over and it's looking like how I imagined it to be! It's pretty easy to maintain (20-30% WC once a week, top offs as necessary and 2-3 pumps of fertilizer each time, along with shrimp additives). Only issue is that although my CRS/CBS are breeding, my baby survival rate isn't high like my wild CBS tank (growing past 3-4mm). Perhaps the tank just needs more time to establish... or maybe I need to feed more baby food. Hopefully the new babies that just hatched make it to adolescent stage...

OkTUkXm.png

Biweekly maintenance before lights and CO2 came on - 50% WC and trimmed where necessary. Main learning point so far: better to trim a bit everyday than to trim all in one go (destroyed my left side carpet...). Also trying to figure out how to get a nice beautiful rotala bush (just freshly trimmed it, and replanted some stems). I also had GDA issues which have been toned back after I started dosing every day. Started dosing Nitrogen (which I haven't been for a long time due to my perception that it causes BBA, which MIGHT not be true haha) to test whether this is why my rotala isn't growing crazy.

GBQcsGZ.png

Back