• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rivers of the sun..

zozo

Since we do not have a video section, we don't, do we? Anway i post it here because it's about fish mainly..
A very nice documentary about the Amazone rivers and it's flood season.. Very intersting all and actualy gives a lot insight and probably inspirations, it did for me already with in 15 minutes...

Not going to spoil to much but one.. Tembaki, the nut cracking fish, remarkable on it's own, but even more interesting is, when it's cracking his nuts it's followed by schools of small fish and recognized at least 2 spieces of Tetra's feesting on the nut spoils.. Just an idea, feeding your tetras crushed nuts.. :)

:thumbup:

What a great video thanks for the share there was some real underwater action from nice filming. Make me want a leaf fish a whole lot more.

Thanks Zozo, fantastic film. I always feel sorry for the large species such as the arrowana, peacock bass and various catfish that find themselves in fish tanks over here. They get so big they really don't belong in tanks.

I always feel sorry for the large species such as the arrowana, peacock bass and various catfish that find themselves in fish tanks over here. They get so big they really don't belong in tanks.

No they absolutely don't.. Same goes for dolphins and whales doing silly tricks, it wants to make me cry instead of laugh and applaud. Same goes for circus with animals.. I can't blame the children liking it, i've been there too with my parents when i was about 8. I actualy wasn't impressed remember it vaguely, i actualy only remember because still got the souvenir, they bought me.. I don't blame them either. But i never been there since and advise everybody i know against it. Till now nobody realy listened. Not so long a friend of mine said "I know how you think about it, but i took my kids to the dolphinarium last week." Said i don't care i just find him an a..hole because of him feeling the need of telling me this.. I still can't blame them i guess, i don't. I feel sorry for both. For the animal and the peoples enjoying it and feel sorry for the kids getting it pushed down their throath and go home with the feeling, it's something normal.

It's bizar.. Also getting sillenced with the argument, look at yourself with your fishtank.. And how many beautiful fish have to die before they get here.
Are they right? Are they wrong?..

A never ending story, twisting and turning.

What baffled me the most, was turning on the tv one day seeing an interview with a zoo keeper and he said.. We are the modern ark of Noah!.. He might be right, but i do not see the flood comming on time.. :rolleyes:

Thanks Zozo, fantastic film. I always feel sorry for the large species such as the arrowana, peacock bass and various catfish that find themselves in fish tanks over here. They get so big they really don't belong in tanks.

most of the juvenile silver arowana sold are captive bred , peacock bass do well in proper size tank as well , theres only one species of fish which dont do well in tanks are the tigerfish from the congo rivers , maybe in huge zoo aquaria

I'm not saying they wouldn't do well in a proper sized tank but is a proper sized tank? Most of these fish I've seen in posts of people's tanks, the tank is not going to be big enough as the fish grows. I see red tail cat fish for sale often. My local Facebook pages seem to be full of large Oscars for sale or free at the moment as they have outgrown their tanks or have lived long enough to bore their owners. Some folk do large fish really well. Most don't. I'm not saying ban them but people should have to show they can accommodate a fully grown specimen of their chosen fish. Mind you, when you see the throw away attitude of many towards dogs then it shouldn't surprise me that people don't give their fish a second thought.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

One thing is a fact, having pets seems to be viewed as something like a constitutional right and there for commercialy exploited. Anybody who wants can, no questions asked as long as the cash flows all is ok. The more cash you have the crazier it gets and if you want and elephant in your bedroom as long as doesn't trouble your neigbour, nobody, well ok the majority, doesn't care.

Now and then a scandle pops up and sometimes even the real truth is made public.. For example Elephants are migratory and nomadic animals, evolution build them for that, they need it to stay healthy.. Studies revealed all captive elephants develop anatomical deformities and suffer great discomfort because the can't do what they are made for. Not even to speak of the psychological damage the animal suffers. Well now the public knows, poor little Dombo we all wish he realy could fly away.. And thats where it stops, with only wishing and maybe's for the ones who do care.. And it's swept under the carpet again by those who actualy don't.

There is such a big commercial machine behind it that needs to keep running. And thats why the people who realy can do something about, lie a little bit about priorities and turn a blind eye to the issue and stare at the cash..

So the concept of how an animal should be cared for is in general consensus "With Respect".. But unfortunately to many people using this word so often don't even know what the word realy implies. We have the freedom to create our own perseption of respect. Many don't look back and if they do, do not take in account what they see, should consider, value and honor. Maybe they do not know what they should look back at and so only look back at the wrong things and than use the word only to the best of their knoweldge. A very simple example is dog owners, somebody living in a densly populated area and wants an Owcharka, no questions asked, he travels to the Caucasus if necessary and buys one. This without taking in respect that a dog like this is not bred and not fit to function in a densly poppulated suburb. It is bred to independently herd and guard goats and fight off wolfs and bears. But so be it, we have an idiot walking around with an Owcharka in a suburb without goat, wolves and bears only because the owner finds it a beautifull dog and uses it as an extension of his ego. He watches Cesar Milan and says i raise my dog with respect.... No actualy you don't, you more likely have it wrong what respect realy implies in this case. But the general consensus is, if i can have a Dobberman pincher, the other can have an Owcharka after all it's just a dog and we all should have the right to own one.

Zoo's are not fit to keep elephants but still they do with respect?

And this is what happens all the time with animal owners.. But we're not the owner, but caretaker.. And this we should do with respect..

And respect goes a very long way here it doesn't stop at your front door and it also doens't stop at the best of your abbilities.

Take care ;) Sorry for the babbling with all respect.. haha...

I'm not saying they wouldn't do well in a proper sized tank but is a proper sized tank? Most of these fish I've seen in posts of people's tanks, the tank is not going to be big enough as the fish grows. I see red tail cat fish for sale often. My local Facebook pages seem to be full of large Oscars for sale or free at the moment as they have outgrown their tanks or have lived long enough to bore their owners. Some folk do large fish really well. Most don't. I'm not saying ban them but people should have to show they can accommodate a fully grown specimen of their chosen fish. Mind you, when you see the throw away attitude of many towards dogs then it shouldn't surprise me that people don't give their fish a second thought.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

unfortunately you are right , many new aquarium hobbyist fall prey to misinformation of the size certain species could hit, that being said most of the fish shop owners dont really educate buyers , guess is they only wants to sell their product (fish) ,most of the newbies buy them during juveniles , not only red tail which grows to almost 3 feet , pacus is another tank buster ,which was one of the species i kept during mine early days of fishkeeping , those days i dont even have internet access , information was scarce , had to learn the hard way until i saw a full grown one at mine local zoo .

Last edited:
unfortunately you are right , many new aquarium hobbyist fall prey to misinformation of the size certain species could hit

Only the new aquarium hobbyist are to blame. I no one gets confused about size between a lion and a cat. It's lack of care to know rather than being a prey to the market...We, consumers, determine what's out there for sale...Do people need written laws to do the right thing? If its not written on paper, are we free to do as we deem fit?

Most don't. I'm not saying ban them but people should have to show they can accommodate a fully grown specimen of their chosen fish. Mind you, when you see the throw away attitude of many towards dogs then it shouldn't surprise me that people don't give their fish a second thought.

Yes, that's said and should change.... I remember I read about some of the Nordic countries having such laws for fish...e.g. can't buy a clown loach if you don't own a minimum of 500l tank...etc...I also read a questionable study once that said that a lot of fish keepers tend to be psychopats, i.e..like to be in control of other creatures and determine their fate..... :)

a lot of fish keepers tend to be psychopats, i.e..like to be in control of other creatures and determine their fate

Make that a lot of pet keepers and they definitively are.. But going into details is cickin chins and much to risky of getting lynched by the psychopatic mob out there.. Rather hush about it.

I can give one example.. :nailbiting: I live at the cities edge a bit country side, we have a few Rent a Horse riding schools around.. Every suny sunday i see dosens go past my front door.. Oftenly i see a horse getting hurt by the rider (thats what the mouth bit does if you pull it hard enough) because obviously the horse isn't enjoying the ride and it doesn't do what the rider wants. Probably because the rider is still to unexperienced to read (rent) that horse.. Each time i see it i wish we had a Rent a Shotgun too.. Why would one have to urge to rent a horse and hurt it to make it forcefully do what you want? Than you must be a psychopatic control freak IMHO. I often see in their gesture and body language, that they realy are enjoying beeing in control of such a mighty animal.

Back