• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel heliolux

I read somewhere that it is never totally black in the wild due to the stars, moon etc Fish are more comfortable with some light than today darkness which makes them a bit skittish - but I am open to the opinion of more wise counsel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that it is never totally black in the wild due to the stars, moon etc Fish are more comfortable with some light than today darkness which makes them a bit skittish - but I am open to the opinion of more wise counsel?

That would make a lot of sense maybe I will try 5% instead of 30% night light

How's the light doing?
I've had to dim the unit to about 70% across white and blue as it was a little to much at 80%
So far the plants are holding up

Hi all.
What time does your sunrise end and sunset start?? I just put my sunrise end forward an hour so sunrise end 1200pm and sunset start 1730pm

I only just turned my down to 85% due to algea issues not sure if the lights are the main issue though so I I've had to start somewhere.

My plants were flying at 100% even showing colour ive not seen since a brought them.
But I started using liquid co2 about to weeks before I got the lights so probs just a combo of the two.

Loving the blue LEDs at night.

I know there expensive but all in all I'm a very happy camper

My regime:
Dawn - 10am - 12pm
Sunrise - 12pm - 3pm
Sunset - 6pm - 8pm
Dusk - 8pm - 10pm

So far so good and enjoying the freedom of movement in the tank without the huge ballast in the way.
I've even just removed the lids that attach to it and just left it open - not the prettiest site but just allowing my floating plants to absorb some natural light as well as not get covered by humidity.

My regime looks like this:
Dawn - 9:00 - 12:00 (white 5%, blue 60%)
Sunrise - 14:00 - 19:00 (white 100%, blue 100%)
Sunset - 20:30 - 21:30 (white 10%, blue 60%)
Dusk - 21:30 - 22:30 (white 0%, blue 05%)
You only have a static period of an hour at 100%??

Nice bit of info .. I just made mine up to what I thought so great to see others.

Mine goes.

Dawn 0800-1000 white 0.5%- blue 60%
Sunrise 1100-1200 white 85%- blue 100%
Sunset 1730-1930 white 5%- blue 80%
Dusk 2030-2130 white 0%- blue 100%

Currently I have t8s on for about 7 hours. But using the controller you all seem to have the lights on for much longer. Does this create any algae issues?

But the leds are gradually ramping to 100% over the 5 hour period before so still getting plenty of light, I may increase the static period if needed but atm all plants growing well and red plants looking redder than with the T5's.
I see your point I've found it hard to judge how much proper photosynthesis light you get with these LEDs because of the gradual light. Wish there was a written rule for them. I couldn't find any timings on the Internet so I'm glad we are having this discussion now.

Currently I have t8s on for about 7 hours. But using the controller you all seem to have the lights on for much longer. Does this create any algae issues?

Because of the light intensity you have them constantly on i think, that's the thing I don't really know how it works. And yes I have had a bit of algea that's why I've dimmed the white light by 15% and shortened full light an hour.

Yes - I suspect you might need to have the co2 on a bit earlier to deal with the overall longer lighting period. However, I suspect, it it more nature to have graduated lighting like the helialux provides. Rather than the abrupt on/off of a t8.

I am seriously considering upgrading to these on my Lido 120 as I hate the abrupt turning on/off of my lights which always seems to make my Hatchets jump.
Does anyone think that the extra depth of the Lido would be a problem for the light intensity of this LED unit.?

I am seriously considering upgrading to these on my Lido 120 as I hate the abrupt turning on/off of my lights which always seems to make my Hatchets jump.
Does anyone think that the extra depth of the Lido would be a problem for the light intensity of this LED unit.?

Tbh, the light intensity is pretty high so I've had to turn mine down.
Haven't run into any algae issues but the plants did melt a little due to the change of conditions.
A simple prune to encourage new growth against the new conditions has helped.

I have to ask...do you fence or hema or like swordfish? Enquiring minds want to know..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have to ask...do you fence or hema or like swordfish? Enquiring minds want to know..

I'm sorry to disappoint you it's nothing more exciting than the fact that I have quite a number of Amazon Swords in my aquarium and I quite like them.

Echinodorus play didn't have quite the same ring to it.

fair enough! Had to ask, my husband does hema

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tbh, the light intensity is pretty high so I've had to turn mine down.
Haven't run into any algae issues but the plants did melt a little due to the change of conditions.
A simple prune to encourage new growth against the new conditions has helped.

Happy to do some pruning for the sake of a more natural light cycle, just didn't want it to be an inferior light compared to my current T5's.
Does it look as natural as the T5's btw?

Back