• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

True bonsai looking plant in aquarium

Many of the common potted Ficus species can grow very well in very wet soil - or right out direct in the water.........I had several different species, growing allmost everywhere, when I was gardening a rainforest exibition at a Zoo.
Ficus can be trimmed to "Bonzai".......but given their vigour it is a lot of work o_O

Thanks for sharing that, i didn't know.. Tho i've looked at several ficus sp. since some are also offered already trimmed as bonsai tree.. But care description always says "Not to keep constantly wet - occasional overwatering is ok".. This probably is more likely a limitation of the soil used then and or temperatur swings when wet. Can't think of another reason why you have other experience.. :) Temp swings is something we don't have in our tanks.. Why is not realy important. Good to know it can... If i ever find a nice priced and good shaped Ficus bonsai i'll surely will give an experimental test and create something permanently wet and temp stable.. :thumbup:

For who's interest also is trigered now and wonder how to pull it off.. Look up Slate Bonsai.. :)
A probably very usefull bonsai technique on top of an emersed rock..

Last edited:
I got an idea, not sure can work out or not. Maybe we can just seal away substrate from water with thick plastic or seal holes between rocks with glue??

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

The Ficus, usually sold as 'Bonzai-looking' (can't remember the species) is not one of the water-accepting ones, as far as I remember.......

Yep - F. religiosa is one. It has quite large leaves, though.
F. benjamina and F. nitida and the long-leafed one (can't remember the specie-name, sorry) also work well......

Hi all,
I've grown this hydroponically (you can root cuttings easily)
I should have said you can do this in water, tank water would be good.

You need to let the (poisonous) latex form a callus in the air, and then you just place the cutting in water (I usually put a <"pop-bottle propagator"> over the top).

misc2+205.jpg

cheers Darrel

I used anubias mini for my tree. The driftwood I used doesn't make it a "bonzai" however I feel like you could make it work. These guys grow quite bushy when placed close to eachother and the roots grow downward with gravity, giving the tree a weeping willow sort of look. If you don't like that, you can always trim the roots off every now and then as they do not grow very fast. I personally like it.
upload_2016-11-21_11-57-49.png

Hi all,
That's the same guy and same date as from the link i posted
Sorry Marcel, I was so busy enjoying the photo, but I didn't actually notice the link.

Anyway my one is much better, because it was posted on UKAPS. ;)

Silly question, but does any-one know whether "Hydrophyte" still post on Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts? (or any other forums)?

cheers Darrel

Anyway my one is much better, because it was posted on UKAPS. ;)
:lol: Sure is, i would have posted it if i found it, but APE was the first.. I just noticed the same pictures, so i checked and saw the same of everything..

Me too wondering how Hydrophyte did with this, in those three years. Maybe it cracked his tank.. :rolleyes:

about to start a thread when i saw this video , looks like there already discussion on it , for aquascaper guess you called it penjing

Last edited:
Back