• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to clean hairgrass with shrimp in it!

andusbeckus

Whats the best way to clean hairgrass with lots of baby shrimp in there?

Scared to use a syphon/gravel cleaner cos they will get sucked up but I'm getting a lot of small bits of algae and debris stuck in it.

Whats the best approach to cleaning and keeping it as clean as possible?

Lol, indeed. Your basically going to have to decide between a "clean as possible" aquascape that isn't perfect for baby shrimp, or just let silt accumulate more and feed the shrimp/biofilm like it would in nature.

Really though, you shouldn't need to siphon/vacuum hairgrass if it has enough flow over it. When I had a carpet of hairgrass and loads of shrimp, I just gently waved my hand above the grass and siphoned the debris that floated loose.

Whats the best way to clean hairgrass with lots of baby shrimp in there?

Scared to use a syphon/gravel cleaner cos they will get sucked up but I'm getting a lot of small bits of algae and debris stuck in it.

Whats the best approach to cleaning and keeping it as clean as possible?
Use a small paintbrush or toothbrush to sweep the hair grass and syphon off the debris as it's dislodged, baby shrimp should move away due to the disturbance cause by the brush.

Attach long bristle paint brush to 10mm tubing with a few elastic bands....... or.......
attach a sponge from a small air uplift filter..."One with the hole through the middle"
you will have to make another opening...push the tubing three quarters the way up the sponge!
upload_2017-2-5_12-14-0.png

I've used both methods.... both work well!
hoggie

Back