• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125G Discus + 75G Dantum Angels

Oh haha. Oops yea the sword idea was tossed couple weeks ago.

Yea tropica changed name of e tellenus to helanthium too.

Really contemplating turning the tank into a dutch/jungle style aquascape.

Do you guys think I should stuff my tank with plants or leave it as is?

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

With discus, I don't know. Detritus and other muck will be trapped under the plants and increase organic waste in the water column. I am not a discus expert, so I am not sure if that would negatively affect the fish or not. If I didn't care about the fish, I would stuff the hell out of that tank with plants, and would use a variety that make the hardscape look like the backbone.

Cheers!
Shane

Hey Shane
Thx for replying. :D Still on the fence about adding more plants. Will keep you guys updated.

I added some Narrow java fern. :D

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6449.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6424.jpg
    IMG_6424.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6424.jpg
    IMG_6424.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6424.jpg
    IMG_6424.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6449.jpg
    IMG_6449.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6424.jpg
    IMG_6424.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6424.jpg
    IMG_6424.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6449.jpg
    IMG_6449.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6449.jpg
    IMG_6449.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6449.jpg
    IMG_6449.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6449.jpg
    IMG_6449.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 95
1 month since last update.

Tank is a zoo now with the fish additions.

Fauna count:
6 Discus
5 Wild Angels
23 Cardinals
36 Dwarf Rainbow Fish
20 Pentazona Barb
15 Candy Cane Tetra
4 German Rams
6 Khuli Loaches
11 Rummynose
3 Royal Whiptail Catfish

Total 129 fish

DSCF8481.jpg

DSCF8509.jpg

DSCF8499.jpg

1 month since last update.

Tank is a zoo now with the fish additions.

Fauna count:
6 Discus
5 Wild Angels
23 Cardinals
36 Dwarf Rainbow Fish
20 Pentazona Barb
15 Candy Cane Tetra
4 German Rams
6 Khuli Loaches
11 Rummynose
3 Royal Whiptail Catfish

Total 129 fish

Hi Mike - amazing tank! Have you had any issues with the Angels and some of the smaller fish (e.g. cardinals)? I was once thinking of doing an Angelfish tank (but had to get rid of the larger tank, and the option was then a non-starter). I had heard lots of stories about Angels eating cardinals and neons.

cool glad you like the tank.

Yea people say Angels eat Cardinals. My Angels in the 125g are not big enough to eat the Cardinals at this point so I can't confirm what will happen in future. In my 75 gallon, a couple (5-10)Harlequin Rasaboras have disappeared and they didn't jump out. Not sure if Angels ate them.

Personally I'm not too concerned. If the Angels eat the Cardinals, it just some money lost and indication that it's incompatible. It's worth a try though.

Hmmm thanks for the heads up. They've been in there for just almost 2 weeks. Temp is at 29-30*C. They seem okay, no idea what they eat though. They're supposed to eat meat but I'm not sure how to deliver that to them. Perhaps feed at night?

I believe they are an Algae eater I always feed a sinking food at night for the Corydorus anyway.

I have not seen either of my whiptails for a couple of weeks now all seemed fine at the start a good hunt & I was always able to find at least one, I know they're a secretive fish but as I've not seen either for two to three weeks.
It was always a concern of mine the higher temperature.
A quick check online gives their temperature requirements of 22C - 26C

I believe they are an Algae eater I always feed a sinking food at night for the Corydorus anyway.

I have not seen either of my whiptails for a couple of weeks now all seemed fine at the start a good hunt & I was always able to find at least one, I know they're a secretive fish but as I've not seen either for two to three weeks.
It was always a concern of mine the higher temperature.
A quick check online gives their temperature requirements of 22C - 26C
Ah you're right they algae. Hope your whiptails are okay

Back