• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is there a perfect way to euthanise

Annabellam

Seedling
Hi everyone. I came across a very interesting discussion the other day and thought should get an opinion. I know fish get sick, so is there a perfect way to euthenise your fish when a health issue cannot be resolved? I know people use different means but is there one that is perfect, less painful or more humane perhaps?

Clove Oil for big fish, Nano, i'll chop heads off. Grim, but it's fast. Fish rarely have diseases tho.

One of my Rasboras had its mouth wide open for days and it is apparently having some issues to close its mouth, when I direcly into its throat, I only see bloody red gills, I dont see any large particles or food etc, though not eating for last one week, it swims well and follow other 15 like any other day. I am hoping to resolve itself as its very difficult for me to catch the tiny fish in my densly planted 5 footer, any tips on how to catch or the problem?

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing guys. Madhav maybe it could be bacterial gill disease. Does it look like it has laboured breathing? That, lost appetite with little or no eating are some of the symptoms. Hope you can figure it out soon before it gets any worse. If it is bacterial gill disease potassium permanganate and salt water additives can be used to help in healing it.

it doesnt show any signs of laboured breathing. not eating at all.
this is how it looks..
how to catch it is another challenge as its a densly planted tank

d8a0GMi.png

Vpl5xPG.png

m5VyzZS.png

cLzSsy2.png

Possibly a broken jaw - usually terminal - feed tiny particles like decapsulated brine shrimp eggs & fish may get enough nutrition
(Even normal gills look red but it's likely fish is also stressed)

To catch shoaling fish I use a relatively large net & just sweep up the group & hold in a bucket etc - then remove specific fish

Lovely green plants!

Nano, i'll chop heads off. Grim, but it's fast. Fish rarely have diseases tho.

A deep net & a block of wood so that you catch the fish swing it to hit the wood hard.
All in one fluid movement.

From capture to death in less than a second, no stress.

I will face the same fate if my daughter is around and see me doing this. She is 8 and she loves her fish very much......haha

Possibly a broken jaw - usually terminal - feed tiny particles like decapsulated brine shrimp eggs & fish may get enough nutrition
(Even normal gills look red but it's likely fish is also stressed)

To catch shoaling fish I use a relatively large net & just sweep up the group & hold in a bucket etc - then remove specific fish

Lovely green plants!

I agree with this advice.

I usually use a brick on its end. I have read about clove oil and while it may look peaceful we have no idea what is going on in the fishes mind ie eek I'm in a bowl, eek there is poison in here with me, eek, eek, stressfull death. I tip my fish out of the net onto a large piece of kitchen roll, fold over to prevent mistakes and bang. All this takes is about 2 seconds. It is not Pleasant, It leaves me feeling sick. But I do feel that taking somethings life shouldn't be easy, even when you have no choice. The last fish I had to do this to was a female betta channoides that appeared to have a broken jaw. no idea how it happened but she was slowly starving and her frantic efforts to eat grindle worms were pitiful. Now that I have discus will I use the same method? Yes, but I'll need something bigger than a brick.

When taking trout home for dinner, I tend to use a large rock (if in a stream/middle of nowhere) or a bludgeon, but no idea where mine went, think it was thrown away.

LOL... I totally get what you mean. Kids are totally emotional and can get really attached to their pets.

depends on the cost of the fish and how long youhave kept it as well , expensive fish can make adults emotional as well ,lol

depends on the cost of the fish and how long youhave kept it as well , expensive fish can make adults emotional as well ,lol
If you don't feel remotely sad at the loss of a fish beyond it's financial cost you probably shouldn't bother keep them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you don't feel remotely sad at the loss of a fish beyond it's financial cost you probably shouldn't bother keep them.

subjective issue i guess , still i wont use a tool to kill a sick fish , since most planters has co2 at hand , why dont gas it ,or clove oil a common sedation for koi to calm them down during treatment , which overdosed to euthanise it , i pretty sure fish like human wants to go to afterlife in a proper state , rather then with a plummeted bleeding head ?

Last edited:
subjective issue i guess , still i wont use a tool to kill a sick fish , since most planters has co2 at hand , why dont gas it ,or clove oil a common sedation for koi to calm them down during treatment , which overdosed to euthanise it , i pretty sure fish like human wants to go to afterlife in a proper state , rather then with a plummeted bleeding head ?
I think it has already been shown in animal slaughter that co2 poisoning is a horrible way to die! And while I'm sure clove oil can be used by an experienced hand to gently sedate a fish I have heard plenty of reports of fish seemingly becoming distressed before succumbing to it. If fish are intelligent enough to contemplate an afterlife then wow.
Would you let a fish starve to death rather than give it a quick death?

The most humane method to euthanize is rapid destruction of the brain. This doesn't have to be gruesome. A toothpick can be used with a small fish, for large fish a paring knife will do. Because of the rapid death, very little blood is released. There is a slight spasm, but that is to be expected with any euthanasia that doesn't cause paralysis.

I do understand the child angle, but compassion toward another's pain, suffering, and fear will sometimes require a person to step out of their comfort zone. The right decision is not always the easiest to do.

The otherside of it, rapid destruction of the brain is likely the only legal method a hobbyist will have availble. Often the only other legal methods are with highly controlled and restricted drugs, such as MS-222. Your local laws may vary.

Back