• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Limnophila advice

Pricey32

Had it for a while doing well but noticing the lower parts of the stem is and leaves starting to brown, unsure if its the start of black hair algae. Il add the pic see what you guys think
12ea40dbc80f1064a87fb575d97b25d2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All tho Limnophila is often categorized as an easy plant, but still needs a fair amount of light to grow healthy and dense.. And the turning point of just enough and just not enough is rather vague. As the whole concept of the lights intensity above an aqaurium is and it is difficult to express in term or number wat is enough and whats not.

For this you need experience, in knowing plants, how they grow and how they react to certain light and other invironmental conditions. This experience needs a lot of time, many plants and or a few tanks to learn.

It could be the start of algae, but still the trigger of it starting to grow there is in the plants health. And if a stemplant doesn't get enough light in it's deeper parts than the leaves down there will becomme unhealthy. Lose strenght and start to die off, melt and get susceptible to algae growth. And seeing how the plant in the picture is stretching out (long internodes/ long and leggy growth) it could be it doesn't get enough light. If it has enough light but grows leggy and developes algae it could be low co2 and to much nitrogene.

So stil from a picture alone, it is hard to say..Just guessing so far.. I guess probably not enough light for this type of plant..

(I wasn't even able to grow an already submersed form of Limnophila in my low tech tank, not even leggy, it just slowly died on me from day one, hadn't enough light for it)

Yeah im using the fluval plant light that comes standard with the new roma tanks. Was looking at getting a 2nd but cant find one with decent fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather stay at the low light range for a start and stack your tank with crypts, valis, sage, swords as main future plantmass.. :) Get this going and if succesfull and enough mass has developped, slowly up the light and add some stems.. Medium to high light low tech with stems only aint that easy to start with from scratch. Growing a propper plantmass first with easier plants is a significan't advantage. And keeps you from running into (to much light) algae problems.

Lim ses is very easy to grow.
Lower light (apparently) produces more compact growth....so I defo wouldn't add light.
Looks a bit diatomic.
How long has the tank been running?
What's the flow pattern like?
Are they in still spots?
I'd be inclined to let them reach the surface,then trim and replant.

In my experience, L. sessiflora is an absolute nitrate hog. Either get yourself some fertiliser with high macros, or some osmocote based root tabs and you'll be good to go.

Lim ses is very easy to grow.
Lower light (apparently) produces more compact growth....so I defo wouldn't add light.
Looks a bit diatomic.
How long has the tank been running?
What's the flow pattern like?
Are they in still spots?
I'd be inclined to let them reach the surface,then trim and replant.

The tanks been up and running just over a month now, im running a u4 with the plant flow on so its not as strong as the main flows but thats running across rather than through the actual plant itself. I wasnt sure at 1st wether maybe it was because i planted them infront of my heater and maybe that was affecting them but its only really appeared in probably the last week or so when they have actually got quite tall. Would you say then to change the angle of my filter to blow across and give them plenty of movement?

In my experience, L. sessiflora is an absolute nitrate hog. Either get yourself some fertiliser with high macros, or some osmocote based root tabs and you'll be good to go.

I was thinking about getting some root tabs, im currently using neutro t fertiliser atm

I'd certainly have a play around with the flow pattern,although it can be tricky to get right,with tall stems and single point outlets.
I like spray bars, because you get perfect circular movement,and the water at the back is rising..which keeps your background stems upright.
How fast do they grow?
I'd also look to massively increase plant mass.
Crypt are my favourite for covering the substrate...you can actually do a carpet with them.
Ludwigia repens is another easy stem worth a go.

Neutro
I was thinking about getting some root tabs, im currently using neutro t fertiliser atm

Neutro T only contains micronutrients; it's macronutrients your L. sessiflora is hungry for. If you give it NPK it grows like a weed, regardless of flow, CO2 etc.

The only root feeders I know of that have macros are Colombo Nutricaps, although you can easily make your own using osmocote.

I know this thread is old. But would like to add something. I have been growing limnophila sessiliflora and the browning of the older leaves is due to nutritional deficiency rather than poor light or algae. It gives bright green leaves in low light environment but only thing is that it may have longer internodes. Almost like an indicator plant as it shows short term unfavourable or favourable aquatic nutritional status. Hope the OP solved the issue.

My personal experience is that it loves high light, a decent flowrate and plenty of liquid ferts. Individual stems should be planted 1" apart so light and waterflow can penetrate. PH and temperature aren't crucial.
Under good conditions, expect at least 1" a day growth. When mine grows too tall, I just cut off the top half and replant them. The bottom parts make great compost.

Back