• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scaper's 50L - Slow Burner

BexHaystack

Hi there,
I had to dismantle my other low-tech tank (40cm cube) when I moved house and decided to setup something new with bits collected from the Lakes in this Scapers tank instead. I found the dimensions so, so much easier to work with! The old tank was my first planted tank and a very steep learning curve, lots of niggles, so I decided to do things a bit differently this time. The aim is to have something easy but interesting as I plan to set up my first high-tech in another tank later this year and won't have time for 2 hectic tanks! So, only a few easy plants in the (old) substrate and everything else attached to rocks/wood for ease of maintenance. No liquid CO2 except for the first fortnight. Very little fertiliser – only after water changes which I am doing every 10 days or so but hoping to extend to every 2-3 weeks. The lights are not on 100% power and raised further away from the water surface than on the previous tank.

Specs…

Tank: Dennerle Scapers 50L

Filter: JBL CristalProfi 701

Heater: External Inline 200w (Chinese knock-off)

Lights: 2 x Blau Nano Led 11w on for 6.5 hrs

Substrate: Re-used Tropica Aquarium Soil, mix of Dennerle River Gravel (S) and a handful of river gravel from the Lake District

Hardscape: Stone – collected in the Lake District, Wood – bit of Heather

Plants: Crytocoryne: lutea Hobbit, petchii, pygmaea
Anubias nana Petite
Bucephalandra: Brownie Blue+ Purple + Helena, Kedagang Purple, Copi Susa, Broad Wavy
Microsorum: Mini/Petite, Trident
Bolbitis heudelotii
Litorella uniflora
Crepidomanes f. malabaricum
Floating: Lemna, Limnobium, Ceratopteris, Salvinia
Moss: Taxiphyllum barbieri, Fissidens fontanus
Cladophlora

Creatures: Celestial Pearl Danio, Sparkling Gourami, Amano shrimp, Cherry Shrimp (not seen much since the addition on the Gouramis…)

Fertiliser: TNC Complete - a few millilitres after water change

It’s been running for about a month now and everything seems to be going well, plant growth is very slow but I have trimmed the Java moss a couple of times. Pretty relaxing. And distracting.

A few photos taken with my phone (don't judge me:confused:)

IMG_20170115_170725.jpg

IMG_20170212_174918.jpg

IMG_20170117_183603.jpg
IMG_20170208_173012.jpg
IMG_20170215_171104.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Lovely setup Bex, seems you have learnt a great deal from your first scape, following this one :)
Thanks Tim, owe you some credit as it was one of your tanks which gave me the idea for something a bit easier to maintain

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tim
Back