• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help with plants in my tank

Bhavik

i bought Lush Max from ebay as i need a fert that would had both macro and micro to my tank but i doesnt seem to be helping i have been adding it for a week or so and i havent really seen any difference or any new growth or anything.

im not sure if its the ferts or what but i cant seem to get my plants growing after doing quite a bit of trimming.

the plants i have at the moment are 3-4 amazon swords 3 jungle val and 1 crinum cal <<<< this really hasnt grown a bit i dont know what it is lacking but its the same size as i bought it and that was about 3-4 months ago

Its a 200 litre tank with 2 x 30 watts light under the hood

i appreciate any replies and help!
Here are some pictures of my plants

IMG_1733.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG
IMG_1735.JPG
IMG_1736.JPG

Well they kind of are the leaves are kind of pale not really green and very slow growth and get some holes in the leaves near the top of the plant

I leave the lights on from 1:30 to 11 so about 9 and half hours

Photo period should be long enough ( if not a little too long) your watts per litre is 0.3, the range for easy plants is 0.25 to 0.5. so your long photo period should make up for your lights being on the lowish side.
Is that algae on the glass?
How old are the tubes ? Plus what tubes do you have?

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

If you stick a fertiliser-capsule right under each plant (containing both micro- and macro-nutrients).........I think you are in for a surprise :) .
- your swords will allmost certainly react within a week or two, throwing new and bigger leaves. The Vallisneria will react quite fast, too, whereas your Crinum will take a bit longer.

Photo period should be long enough ( if not a little too long) your watts per litre is 0.3, the range for easy plants is 0.25 to 0.5. so your long photo period should make up for your lights being on the lowish side.
Is that algae on the glass?
How old are the tubes ? Plus what tubes do you have?

How did you work out the watt per litre and how did you get 0.3?
There is no algae on the glass and I'm not sure how old they are but there are 2x30watts tube under the hood and they are called daylight deluxe
I have heard people on hear are using this lush fert from eBay and are getting good results and I don't know why it's not working for me :/

If you stick a fertiliser-capsule right under each plant (containing both micro- and macro-nutrients).........I think you are in for a surprise :) .
- your swords will allmost certainly react within a week or two, throwing new and bigger leaves. The Vallisneria will react quite fast, too, whereas your Crinum will take a bit longer.

Hi there what fertiliser capsule do you recommend me getting as I have tried clay peats from eBay they have both Marco and micro ferts but these don't seem to be making a difference I have really seen any new or good growth when using them. So which ones would you suggest?

What do you think about the api root tabs would those really benefit my plants?

Looked it up for planted tanks. Plenty of guides from quick Google.
You have 60watts total, 200 litres. So 60/200= 0.3W/H.
Reason I ask about aglae is that if you get none it could be a sign of low light output depending on what aglea eaters you have. If the tubes are old they could be past there best so light output may be reduced also. There's a good sticky thread in lighting section which has some great pics of which cheap replacement tubes to consider maybe. Some tubes outputs don't last very long.

I am not allowed to point you to a specific brand of root-fertiliser-capsules on the forum, sorry (I am employed by a business in the aquatic hobby, so this makes perfect sense !!! ).............but any root-fertiliser-capsules, that contain both micro- and macro-nutrients will probaply do the job. Just be sure the product you choose really do contain all the needed nutrients.
Clay-balls do not necessarily contain these - they often just have capability of binding and storing them from ex. water-column fertilisers.

Ok I'm going to my pet shop tommrow and I'm going to see if I can go and get some stronger bulbs and some that work better than my current ones!

Thing is I don't know which root fertilisers caps to look for and buy if you give me some suggest i'll have a look at them
Also as for the clay peats the ones that i got from eBay they dissolve after a couple of days as when cleaning the gravel they aren't there anymore so I'm bot sure if it's storing them

Also I have a crinum cal in tank not really taking of just really has 2 leaves and not seeing any grow I was just wondering I have tied it to some driftwood very loosely which is some what buried in the substrate. But was wondering if I bring the plant and driftwood closer to the light would that help?
Obvs the plant will then be out of the substrate so will it still be able to get the ferts it needs from the water?

Lastly
I'm thinking of starting to dose liquid co2 to my tank and I was wondering what I should get?

I've got a 200 litre tank that I will be dosing to.

I wanted to go for something that's fairly cheap and I had a look at 2 one is API CO2 booster and easycarbo

I know the dosage for easycarbo but I don't the dosage for api co2 so could someone help me out with that and could someone suggest which one of these is best to go for?

Thanks

any help?
i also researched TNC carbon and Neutro Co2 as well how well do these work and are they better than the ones mentioned above

Hi
Dont jump on the carbon supplements yet as they will increase the demand for all other nutrients.Try the root tabs and regular maintenance to ensure your tank is clean (dont vacuum the gravel where the plant roots are and where U stick the root tabs just gently swirl on top of the spot to lift any debris )observe how the plants will react.Stick to the reputable manifacturers (a bit more costly )for now untill U get more experience .Pm me if U struggle to decide which ones.
Regards Konsa

Hi thanks for the reply i was thinking of co2 as i wanted quicker growth but maybe i will hold off for now!
but as for the root tabs they really dont seem to be working like i have bought both root tabs and clay peat and i really have seen much growth and im not too sure why :/

i also wanted to ask i am thinking of getting api leaf zone just wanted to know how good this product and if its a real benefit to the tank?

Lastly i was thinking of getting dry potassium ferts its a 100g i just wanted to ask how much water i would need to add to dissolve and how much would i have to add to my tank each day or week?

thanks

Back