• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monte Carlo growing straight up.

Soilwork

My new Monte Carlo is growing straight up. I've only had it since Sunday but it doesn't have any new roots along the stems and it's growing upwards. Is this normal? I've had the same plant carpet in a matter of weeks so I find this growth a bit odd.

Thanks

Strange,also under fairly low lighting it should carpet.Are you sure it's not M.micrantimoides(excuse if spelling is off!).Post a picture if possible.

IMG_2542.JPG
Im using 2 x Chihiros A series both on setting number 4. I do have a bit of silvania floating in that area above the MC but the filter flow pushes it there so I can't do anything about that.

I don't think it's the plant you mentioned Mark. I'll get a closer picture this evening. It's not showing any toys above the substrate.

IMG_2544.JPG
Here is a picture two days later. The focus was not on the MC though but you can just about see it.

Sorry I didn't upload a pic first post but it doesn't usually work on iPhone.

I would turn your light up a bit. I have MC and it has gone mad in my 30litre shrimp setup. I don't have a picture to hand but I have the same light and is on the second highest setting.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

My other plants are growing too fast already though haha. Ok i could do. I carpeted MC before on one 60cm fixture at full power (setting 7) I'm using two on setting number 4. Do you think two at number 4 would equal less light than one at full?

I would say so as setting 4 is quite dim IMO. I think it's more the par value though that makes all the difference. You'll find plants will go mad anyway under good light and Co2. Just trim more often :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I think you are right. I'm not getting pearl either. Just the odd bubble no and again. I know pearl would increase if I upped the light so maybe I don't have enough after all.

IMG_2386.JPG
Ok my co2 is shy of 30ppm. My drop checker broke and I haven't calibrated the pH meter. I've settled on this co2 level because everything is growing healthily and my fish and shrimp seem happy. I did have more co2 when I last carpeted the Monte Carlo which can be seen above as well as less plant mass. I could turn both up a tad and see if anything happens.

I believe oxygen production is directly proportional to co2 consumption so I may not be pearling because either I'm not driving photosynthesis hard enough with too little light or I don't have enough co2. I would however expect unhealthy growth with inadequate co2 but the plants are green and there is no algae.

Perhaps the new soil substrate is reducing oxygen somewhat also or the rapid growing stems are robbing the MC of co2. To try and pinpoint the exact issue for future reference I'm going to make one change at a time stating with the light.

Just thought i would also mention that some of the tallest MC stems are actually starting to bend over but they are not sending out roots to anchor themselves to the substrate. The carpet above just crawled from day one. Both light and co2 were at higher levels.

Thanks. I've turned co2 up (not loads) but whipped both A-series fixtures to max (gulp!) do you think that is too much of a jump?

Plants are pearling after 5 mins.

If you see them pearling I think you're going in the right direction. Give it a few weeks and let it root, then trim to the height you want and it'll start spreading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks doubu. Not being that familiar with the plant I think I may have planted it incorrectly. I just picked stems away from the main root system when planting. Should I have left a bit of root on each stem?

Back