• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ludwigia pale new leaves

Souvik Baitalik

Seedling
my ludwigia (maybe repens) is showing nutrition deficiency . I dose npk every day and diy co2 system .I also add seachem flourish 2x a week light 3w/gal almost .other plants are fine .what is the deficiency?
IMG-20170223-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20170223-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20170223-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20170223-WA0003.jpg

Does flourish contain Fe? Also, what's your target range for NPK?

The whole watts per gallon is a bit outdated, could you please tell us what type of light it is? LED, T5, T8, etc.

Hi all,
Does flourish contain Fe
It does, in the form of a small amount of ferrous gluconate, but I think it is a classic case of iron (Fe) deficiency.

There aren't many deficiency symptoms that effect only new leaves, because most elements are mobile within the plant and the plant will move them to the new leaves.

This has "<come up before"> as an issue.

If the OP has hard water then the added iron is unlikely to stay in solution if it is complexed as gluconate, and a <"different chelator"> would be beneficial.

cheers Darrel

thanks to everyone...lighting is one led and one pl-l 6500k tube. I heard that rotala is also iron hungry plant but rotala is growing fine.I have just bought EDTA Fe 13 but don't know how to mix it to get .1 ppm concentration in water.

Rotalabutterfly.com has a nutrient calculator, you will need a scale :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I have just bought EDTA Fe 13 but don't know how to mix it to get .1 ppm concentration in water.
I agree with @Ed.Junior, a calculator is the easiest option, but you can work out the percentage of iron (Fe) in a compound from the Relative Atomic Mass (RAM) of iron (Fe) and RMM of the compound.

In this case the "13" bit is the percentage of iron (Fe) in your FeEDTA.
I heard that rotala is also iron hungry plant but rotala is growing fine
It maybe that the Ludwigia has grown more rapidly, it can't move any stored iron from the old to new leaves so it is showing the deficiencies first.

When you add FeEDTA iron ions (Fe+++) will slowly become available (as the FeEDTA degrades in the light) and the plant will pick them up. The small pale leaves won't ever green up, because the plant can't move the iron to them, but any new leaves should be larger and greener.

cheers Darrel

When you add FeEDTA iron ions (Fe+++) will slowly become available (as the FeEDTA degrades in the light) .

Thank you Darrel.but one question when should I dose Iron? During photo Period or at night? I am dosing po4 during light hours and EDTA Fe in the night as dosing together may react with each other.

Hi all,
Thank you Darrel.but one question when should I dose Iron? During photo Period or at night? I am dosing po4 during light hours and EDTA Fe in the night as dosing together may react with each other.
You can always dose macro and micros on alternate days.

When you dose shouldn't be as important with FeEDTA. Because the iron is more effectively chelated the Fe ions should become available as a continual trickle during lights on.

cheers Darrel

Back