• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Semi Planted Wild Discus Tank Full HD Video with soundtrack

I went to my local shop last Friday.....wasn't buying anything, just killing some time...They have a tank in which they keep discus...You can tell its not well kept because of the protein film on the surface and water full of debris floating....There were just two discus left, big eyes and triangle bodies and you can tell they weren't that young for the size...But they were so cute...It was just two of them in the tank. They came over to see me right to the front glass and were literally observing me... I then walked slightly away as I was talking on the phone...They went away in the corner. I went back to the tank...they came up to the front glass again....I was extremely tempted to get them home and give them a massive amount of water changes and good care...But they wouldn't like it in my clown loach tank as that's the only place I could have kept them long term after quarantine...and I can't trust discus not to carry a ton of diseases that re-appear for the smallest of things...

But if I go back in a few weeks and those two are still there being kept like that...I don't know what I am going to do :).

I went to my local shop last Friday.....wasn't buying anything, just killing some time...They have a tank in which they keep discus...You can tell its not well kept because of the protein film on the surface and water full of debris floating....There were just two discus left, big eyes and triangle bodies and you can tell they weren't that young for the size...But they were so cute...It was just two of them in the tank. They came over to see me right to the front glass and were literally observing me... I then walked slightly away as I was talking on the phone...They went away in the corner. I went back to the tank...they came up to the front glass again....I was extremely tempted to get them home and give them a massive amount of water changes and good care...But they wouldn't like it in my clown loach tank as that's the only place I could have kept them long term after quarantine...and I can't trust discus not to carry a ton of diseases that re-appear for the smallest of things...

But if I go back in a few weeks and those two are still there being kept like that...I don't know what I am going to do :).

That's a great story sciencefiction, I have done the same more than once but managed to resist each time. When your discus are healthy it is a joy to behold. But when they get ill it is stressful to say the least and we do anything to try and help them.

That said if you are buying fish that already look unwell at least you know what you are letting yourself in for! But then there would be the ultimate reward and satisfaction that you have nursed them back to health. Sadly it sounds like these fish will deteriorate to a point where they are unrecoverable. If I were you I would tell the LFS owner that you will take them off his hands for free to bring them back to full health! You never know:thumbup::thumbup::)

My first attempt at a video of my Wild Discus since changing my aquarium over to a more natural looking biotope!

th_Wild%20Discus%20Tank_zpsb12ezeve.mp4.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited:
Very, very nice

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

So....bit of an update. After consulting various experts and sending photographs to them, we have concluded that almost certainly all 7 of the Discus in my tank are males. What's the chance of that happening.

So I have sold the Semi Royal Red, the Tefe Green and the smallest of the RSG's. This is to make room for what I hope are going to be 5 x Female Red Spotted Greens giving me a total of 9 Red Spotted Greens, 4 x males and if I am lucky 5 x females.

They arrive on Thursday so can't wait now until they arrive. I will take some photos once they have settled in and give an update later.

"Here Come The Girls"

Cheers,

Steve

I'd missed the HD video update - fantastic job! tank looks amazing :clap:

Where are the girls coming from?

(I'd love to see in-progress photos ;) ... you know the sort you're rather good at :lol: ... here comes the delivery van ...the box ... the first fish (in bags) ... released into tank ...the :eek: reaction of the boys ...)

Well the Discus arrived, three from Chris Ingham at Plymoth Discus and two from Smon Hall at Midlands Discus. Both boxes arrived together on the same van. I have taken photographs but not had time to upload to Photobucket yet, sorry.

They all seem to be getting on well together, so no fireworks just yet. To be honest the three females from Chris Ingham are a bit on the small size, certainly much smaller than I was expecting and quite a bit smaller than the male discus I have got in there, so there is a bit of catching up to do I think before there is likely to be any pairing activity if there is ever going to be any at all that is.

The two discus from Simon Hall were much bigger but I paid a bit more for them, although I suspect the biggest of the two might actually be another male. Who knows I could be wrong, only time will tell.

Fingers crossed. Pictures to follow later.

Cheers,

Steve

Sorry guys, its been a tough 8 days, so no nice photos of unboxing and putting the discus in the tank. Had more serious issues to deal with I am afraid. Here is the story.

So...If someone advised you that it wasn't safe to drive at high speeds on the motorway with your eyes closed...you would think that was pretty good advice and no doubt you would take it...yes!

So what if someone advises you that you should never add new Discus to your tank without Quarantining them first? Otherwise you will more than likely get some cross contamination and probably some parasite / bacterial infection which could wipe out your fish. Would you ignore it and take the risk? Or think hmmm maybe I should quarantine these first, no matter what the suppliers told you just to be on the safe side. Well I ignored the warnings and took the risk...and paid for it big style...I put the five new Wild Red Spotted Greens into the tank a week ago on Thursday. Everything was fine on the Friday and Saturday, then on Sunday morning I noticed the first signs something was wrong and by Monday things went downhill rapidly.

This was a very stressful situation and at one stage I thought I was going to lose at least five of them. One fish was completely black lying on it's side totally still, I thought it was dead so went to net it out. As I touched it with the net it quivered and moved, so still some signs of life, maybe there is a chance to save it. Well after five days of 60% water changes with heated tap water, scrubbing down every surface inside the tank with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in a 1 litre spray bottle and treatment with medicated food and dosing with Protozin there was what seemed a miraculous turnaround with all fish recovered and now eating well and swimming around again.

Some very early starts at 05:45 and late night finishes as late as 01:00 doing everything I could to save these fish.

The moral of this story for me is if you are not prepared to quarantine the fish before putting them in with others in the same tank, DON'T buy the fish. This could have been a very costly mistake, fortunately following advice from the suppliers I got away with it this time. A new tank is on its way which will be my future QT Tank. See photos for how they looked when they first went in, a few days later, and then following treatment. I should add this was Wilds being mixed with Wilds.

Arrived on Thursday photo taken on Friday
Friday%20Discus_zpscvnv0ax6.jpg

Sunday Morning
image2_zpsvondbceq.jpg

Monday Morning
image1_zps5wjypapy.jpg

Monday
Sunday%20Discus%202_zpsplj43ttw.jpg

Monday
Sunday%20Discus%203_zpsclfewraj.jpg

Treatment - Tetra Tips Crushed mixed with 400mg Metronadizol mixed into pase and added to more tablets left overnight to dry and fed th next few days
Medication_zpsaoh478jm.jpg

Four days of 60% water changes and dosing with Protozin
Water%20Change_zps9zfj62b7.jpg

Thursday the same week
Friday%20Discus_zps4qbkonpv.jpg

This photo is of the fish with all the mucus on its skin, you can just see some grey left at the end of the tail fin

Thursday%20Discus_zpsiaxfkj2g.jpg

Fish have turned the corner, and now I am recovering.

Updates to follow.

Cheers Steve

Back